We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland in October

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Dakota
reviews: 66
Disneyland in October

HI,

thinking about Disneyland in October. Can be flexible with dates & will be taking the kids out of school (ages 8 & 12). I know to avoid Columbus day weekend which is Oct 11-14. From other posts know the Utah Ed days is Oct 17/18 & Gay days Oct 4-6. So I have it narrowed down to 2 weeks. What are your thoughts on Oct. 7-11 or Oct 21-25th weeks for being busy & crowds? We are going October for lower crowds & want to experience Disney during Halloween. The boys have never been to California or Disneyland & don't want to spend the day standing in line to get on things :)

Also would be interested in people's opinions on their favorite hotel(s) within walking distance to Disneyland, preferably with free breakfast and a pool. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
1. Re: Disneyland in October

For UEA ( Utah Education Association) It would be Oct 17-20 for 2013 you would want to avoid, not just the Thurs, and Friday, since Schools in Utah are closed, it bring in larger crowds for the 4 day weekend to Disneyland.

Theres also Choco Walk in the Park, which is basically a walk the have a Disneyland where proceeds go to a Charity. That usually impact crowds at Disneyland for that day only which is on a Sunday, in mid Oct., so perhaps Oct 13 for 2013 . But, it could also be Oct 20th. No date has been announced yet.

There is actually quite alot going on in Oct now as far as the Mickey's Halloween Party nights go, and there are alot of out of Country visitors who have thier School breaks during Oct, so its becomming a more busy time.

Keep in mind, that Fireworks and Fantasmic would only be on the weekends in Oct usually, Sat, Sun. And a special Fireworks show on the MIckey's Halloween Party nights which require a special ticket you have to purchase to get into the Party nights. There is usually a nightly World of Color show. Hours are usually altered during the week also to regular guests on the Party nights, So that info may have some impact on when you may want to visit.

No official dates or info will be our for quite a while for the Mickey's Halloween Party nites, usually not till June or so. But, heres more info on last years Party nites that may be helpful.

wdwinfo.com/Disneyland/Events/Halloween.htm

As far as your dates go in Oct, I would actually pick a different date, the last week, Oct 25- Nov 1 should have the lightest crowds in October. Keep in mind that "Its a small World" usually closes around that week however to get thier Christmas overlay. And likely Nov 1, would have Space Mountain closed to get its Halloween overlay removed.

But, if you are set on your dates, I would pick the latest date, so Oct 21-25.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
2. Re: Disneyland in October

As far as places to stay go, Heres a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area that may be helpful. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle area" on the Map. Most of those nearest to the entrance are going to be standard Motels with smaller pools, and standard Continental Breakfast which is not alot.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Best Western Park Place Inn, Anaheim Desert Inn, Camelot Inn, Park Vue Inn, Best Western Anaheim Inn, are all standard well rated Motels that are in close walking distance to Disneyland.

If you are looking for a Hotel with those amenties there is Fairfield Inn... which has a larger pool, which is a basic Hotels with mostly exterior corridors about an 8 min walk, but no free breakfast.

Howard Johnsons.... a limited services Hotel, a nicer pool area, and a water play area, but no free breakfast, about an 11 min walk with Art shuttle.

Residence Inn Maingate... about a 15 min walk with free full breakfast and some weeknight light suppers, full kitchens.

South Dakota
3. Re: Disneyland in October

Thanks for your reply :) So Oct 25-Nov 1st would be the best week then? I am not set on my dates so will consider that. I was surprised by that being the week of Halloween ? I would be more likely to pick a week we think may have lower crowds. I will definitely stay away from Oct 17-20- thanks.

When they do Mickey's Halloween Party Nights - is that just in Magic Kingdom? We could still do Calif. Adventure that evening if we weren't going to Mickey's Halloween Night? (park hopper) Though I would consider getting tickets for the Halloween party. It sounds fun & we would be there anyway.

Thanks for the hotel links- I will check them out. It's probably not so important that we can walk to the parks if there are hotels with shuttles that aren't real far away. Finding a hotel with free breakfast (with 4 of us) would save us buying out a meal each day. I will check into the walking distance ones 1st tho, as walking would be more convenient. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
4. Re: Disneyland in October

Yes, you would think with Halloween in that week Oct25- Nov 1, it would be a busy one, but thats not the case from what info I have seen.

As far as the Mickey's Halloween Party nights go, they are held at Disneyland Park. And yes, California Adventure Park usually stays open a few hours after Disneyland Park closes to regular guests, to accomodate guests who are not going to the Party at Disneyland Park.

Last years hours for Disneyland are listed on this link, and may give you some idea of what hours may be for this year, although Disneyland can change things around.

www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/park-hours.cfm…

On Party nights, Disneyland Park is usually open a few hours earlier in the morning to regular guests, so there only is about a 2 hour difference less in Park hours at Disneyland Park to those not attending the Party. California Adventure Park also usually is open a few hours earlier.

Keep in mind people can purchase just a Mickey's Halloween Party ticket, which allows them into Disneylandand about 3 hours before the Party times in with the regular guests, so after 3 or 4 pm things will get busy at Disneyland on Party nights.

Edited: 12:23 pm, March 27, 2013
South Dakota
5. Re: Disneyland in October

still trying to figure out dates! Just found out the kids have no school on Monday Oct 7th. Columbus Day would be the following Monday (Oct 14). I am back to Oct 3-9th for dates. We would get the 3 day park hopper so planning 3 full days at DL and thinking Oct 7,8,9 (mon./tues/wed) for dates at DL.

Right now thinking it would be cool to fly in to San Diego and do SeaWorld and area on Oct 4/5/6 - then head up to Anaheim on the Sunday. Do DL for 3 days, then fly out of Anaheim area. All tenative and will check out the SanDiego forum as well.

Thanks for all of your help. My dates are still flexible but just wondering what you thought of the Oct 7,8,9 for DL? I am also leaning toward the Candy Cane Inn at this point or the Howard Johnson hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 45
6. Re: Disneyland in October

if there are any specific rides that you really have your heart set on - check their maitenance schedule to make sure they aren't closed during the dates you are oging.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
7. Re: Disneyland in October

The first few weeks of Oct are usually the busiest ones of the month Imo, since the Mickey's Halloween Party nights are just getting started, and Oct is becomming a popular time to visit. I just dont think you are going to have lower crowds during that time period.

San Diego is a wonderful City to visit, Im sure you will like spending some time there. The regular posters on that forum are also very helpful.

Howard Johnsons...... is a standard limited service Hotel, but is very well rated. Its about an 11 min walk down Harbor Blvd, through the Main Entrance to Disneyland, and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. It has a nice water play area for children, that likely to be warm enough to use in alot of Oct. And, they offer the Art Shuttle service for a small fee per person if you dont want to walk. They also have a 15% off discount with the Mousesavers discount which anyone can use with the promocode LKMS or by mentioning the discount when calling direct. Beds are very comfortable.

Drawback are with Hojos, its a farther walk, no free breakfast, and its located right next to the freeway, even with a sound breaker there, some rooms can still have road noise. You can request a room away from the freeway, but some rooms like the kids suites face the freeway.

The Candy Cane Inn.... offers a pretty good continental breakfast from what I have heard. Its a well rated standard Motel thats family owned and operated. Its about a10 min walk to the Turnstiles, and has thier own free shuttle, however, the Shuttle stops in a little different area than the regular shuttlle drop off point which is about a 3 min more walk.

South Dakota
8. Re: Disneyland in October

Yeah I hear what you're saying about the 1st 2 weeks being busier. I will have to think about that versus the October 20-26 week or Oct 27-Nov 1st week. It's hard to know what week to choose.

9. Re: Disneyland in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 31, 2014