We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 112
which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

DH & I are coming to So Cal for a reunion. We will have 1 day -- a Thursday at the end of July or the begining of August -- to go to 1 park.

I kind of have my heart set on Disneyland. My research is indicating that DL will be the most crowded. DH really hates crowds.

If you had to pick only 1 park, which would it be:

Disney Land

Disney's California Adventure

Knotts Berry Farm

and why?

TIA.

Pacific Grove...
reviews: 26
1. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

I would pick DL. The crowds are not rude. It has beautiful historic rides. Early is not as bad. It starts getting very crowded @1100. Do not miss the night time show (fantasmic?)

California
reviews: 12
2. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Disneyland if you only do one. But I went in August for one day bought Park Hoppers (2 17 year olds with me). Arrived at Disneyland at rope drop. We had a fabulous day and went on all the rides at each park that we wanted to. Ya is was a little crowded but I expected worse. I thought it was fine. We left at 10 PM tired but glad we did it..

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

OK, what do you like, what is your budget, and have you done any of them before?

The first one I would drop off is Disney California Adventure, while it is a much better park since the upgrades in the last couple of years, if I had to pick one park at the Resort would be Disneyland.

Knott's Berry Farm is America's First Theme Park, a lot less expensive than Disneyland, smaller crowds, and you can buy a Fast Lane Pass to avoid long lines on the major rides. Also has more and better Roller Coasters than Disneyland, if that is important to you.

Disneyland is the "classic" park, and has been popular ever since it opened on July 18th, 1955. A lot of variety, rides, attractions and great evening entertainment on many nights, such as Fantasmic! and Fireworks. That would be my first choice, but it does have the "crowd" issue.

So I would look at Disneyland Park and Knott's, and decide if the crowd factor is important to you...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
4. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

There is no question here... Disneyland Park wins hand down busy or not Imo.

NJ
reviews: 112
5. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Darkbeer asked for some clarrification.

Both DH & I have been to DL but that was in the early 1990s. I have been to KBF; he has not. Neither of us have been to DCA. I didn't even know it existed until I started planning his trip.

A parkhopper pass seems to be too much in 1 day. If we had 2 days, I'd buy the package.

We both love rollercoasters. I was aware that KBF has better ones than Disney but it's been more than 20 years since I have been on Space Mountain so . . . . .

Budget is not a huge issue. I think DL/DCA is $87 pp for 1 park & $125 for parkhopper for 1 day. When I priced out KBF with FP it was about $80 pp So they are comparable IMO.

As far as budget goes I'm more concerned about the costs of the hotel which is why on the other thread I said I was looking into Priceline for which you correctly cautioned me that it might not be such a bargain if we're not on ART or the other line. I had read on one of the Disney boards that self-parking can be a huge time suck; they too recommended hotels with in walking distance or to spend the money you save on parking on a taxi to get you to the gate w/o having to deal with the parking structures. We will have a rental car.

On the subject of ground transportation, if we do end up with a hotel that isn't on ART, is there a park & ride some place? Does does that solve the problem?

My heart is leaning toward Disneyland but if I have to put up with an annoyed husband all day, perhaps KBF would be the better choice. I do love their red raspberry cookies. :)

Edited: 4:38 pm, March 19, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
6. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

OK, I announced my engagement at Disneyland in front of the Castle to many friends, and got married at Knott's, so I love them both.

In the middle of peak season, I think I would opt for Knott's, the new very plused Log Ride with new audio-animatronics will be open, along with the new Boardwalk area of rides. I love using things like the Fast Lane, which should help your husband out with little waits, when you are done with the park, go have a meal at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, relax, enjoy a great meal and the history of the venue.

But it ends up being your decision....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 88
7. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Yours dates will end up being busy at whatever Theme Park you visit, so thats not really an issue Imo.

SoCal
reviews: 9
8. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Based on what you have written, maybe KBF is the best choice. More thrill rides/coaster and you can buy your way to the front of the line. DL will be very crowded/packed.

If you go to DL/DCA If you are only going to the parks for 1 day I would not worry about the 1 day of parking and $15 charge. I think the Toy Story lot is quicker between the two.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
9. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

The main difference is the Fast Lane option at Knott's, where you are pretty much buying a "Front of the Line" pass for the major rides (multiple rides allowed), the price is now adjustable, but between $35 and $50 depending on the day. A weekday in July was $45 based on the Knott's website I just checked.

Disneyland has the FastPass option, but that only would give a few rides with a lot of restrictions, even though it is free.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
10. Re: which park (DL, DCA or KBF) if u can only do 1?

Disneyland.

By the way Knotts was not the first American Theme park. There were numerous ones built in the late 1800's....most notably Coney Island on the East Coast.