We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 1
Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

We made reservations for the GCH standard room because we are taking our 4 year old and want to be close to the parks and be able to return to the room early afternoon for naps/swimming and re-fuel for night time Disney. We want a hotel with nice grounds & pool so when not at the parks we can still be on Disney property. Early morning extra hour is a must.

I'm seriously considering changing our reservation to the Disneyland Hotel. I'm concerned about the 'dark' rooms, long hallways of the GCH. I really like the floor to ceiling windows and general brightness of the DLH. My only real concern here the walk to the parks and not being minutes from DCA to my room.

I'd love to get opinions on what should be a bigger concern.... darks rooms & endless hallways at the GCH or the longer walk from the DLH. Am I correct that you can walk from the DLH to GCH in 5-6 min ??

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
1. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

>>>I'd love to get opinions on what should be a bigger concern....<<<

My bigger concern is that you are waaaaaay overthinking this. You've been through a lot of topics, asked a lot of questions and gotten a lot of feedback.

Without knowing you it is impossible to say which is right for you.

For me, I'd keep the GC because I think it is Disney's nicest hotel, the corridors can be long but that is because they chose to build a lower profile hotel and not towers. If you get a room near the atrium the walk isn't long at all and looking down to the lobby area is really cool.

When I stay at the DLH I actually ask for the Bonita (now Frontier) Tower, that is the furthest from Disneyland because the lobby is quieter and the tower is the newest of the three. Is the GC 6-8 minutes walking time from the DLH? It depends entirely on which room you get and how fast you walk.

When you go to the Cherry Creek Mall and park by Macy's and you know you need to go to Nordstrom too, do you really think about that it is a ten minute walk between the two or do you not really notice how long the walk is because of the other stores along the way? That is kind of how I feel about the walk from the DLH to either the parks or the GC, because you are walking through Downtown Disney it feels different from just walking with no distractions.

Lastly, the extra 800 yards (1,000 yards?) between the GC and DLH are a fraction of the walking you'll be doing the rest of the day.

Pick the hotel you think you'd like based on the hotel alone.

Edited: 11:14 am, March 19, 2013
Colorado
2. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

I agree... I know I'm overthinking it.. it's a sickness I have :)

I guess it's because I'm spending more $$ on a room than I ever have and want to make the right choice.

If I had my choice it put the DLH in the location of the GCH but alas that can't happen so I just don't want be be disappointed in my final decesion.

Muskegon, Michigan
reviews: 39
3. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

You'll be OK... The GCH is a very nice hotel, and the walk issue won't be a big deal . I'd keep your reservation and just prepare for a good holiday

Omaha, Nebraska
4. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

IMHO, with a 4 year old the DLH is the clear winner. The pool area alone is way better for kids and your child will love the headboards on the beds that light up, get a stroller and you wont be sorry.

Colorado
5. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

I spent the same agonizing hours going over this decision as well. I'm taking my 5 year old and really wanted it to be perfect. After endless research and finally being able to talk with a Disney representative I decided on the DLH. It seems much more kid oriented and like it was made specifically for children this age, including the pool area. Like someone else said the walk is a bit farther but there's a million things to see in between. Take a stroller, and the walk wont even be an issue. My daughter doesn't use a stroller at home, but then again she's not walking miles everyday around an amusement park either, so for her comfort and for my own sanity of not having to carry her or deal with whining were taking a stroller. Plus if she poops out at night she can sleep in the stroller and we can still have fun.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
6. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

One thing I don't like is small Hotel rooms, so for that reason alone, I would pick the Disneyland Hotel, as they are much larger than at the GCH.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 27
7. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

I never felt that the rooms at the GC were unusually small, but I would agree that the DLH is more kid friendly. And remember, it's also the closest hotel to the monorail, so you always have that option, too!

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
8. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

I thought the GCH was like a maze and it did take unto forever to get to your room. The pool was not very impressive.

I'd chose Disneyland, for the reasons others have mentioned.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 27
9. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

If you do stay at the GCH, ask your bellhop for the shortest route to the park/ Downtown Disney. Ours showed us a side entrance that was close to our room and saved us a good deal of walking.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 57
10. Re: Re-Thinking My Grand Californian Choice

So one hotel has long corridors but is closer to where you want to be, and the other has shorter hotels but is further from where you want to be. If this is about the distances you'll have to walk, I'm betting the difference in the length of the corridors is dwarfed by the difference in the length of the walk to the parks from the two hotels.