We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lloydminster, Canada
reviews: 3
Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

So.. this is a new one for us! We have been to DSL a few times but we have never had to deal with this before. My husband's back just went out yesterday - sciatica. He can barely walk, has a hard time standing. Super, huh? He should be better in a few days but not 100%. My question is; if it gets bad, can we rent a wheel chair for him? And if we do that, but he can still get up and walk and get into rides, etc, what do we do about line ups? Is there a wheelchair line? Do we use that or just push him through the regular line? It seems wrong to use a line meant for people that cannot walk - permanently. And get into lines faster, etc. We don't want to abuse any systems that are there for people. But, truly, he can't walk - for now. Also, do we need some sort of a Dr's note? It would mean cancelling our trip for a year if we can't go next saturday. And our son graduates next year - so our lives will be changing. This was our kids' pick for vacation. So many questions. It's amazing what a day can do to change plans! Thanks guys

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

I feel for you and your husband. Disability does not have to be a permanent condition. Plenty of people have temporary disabilities (surgery, sprained ankle, etc.) that uses disability services. I'd definitely check out the wheelchair rental.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 338
2. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Here are great links from Disney.

…go.com/plan/…

…go.com/plan/…

Edited: 2:53 pm, February 23, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

My husband has sciatica too but it comes and goes.

He finds that stretching helps a lot!!

It is amazing how he can have horrible pain and then in a little while it goes away. I hope your husband can say the same soon!!

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
4. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

I'm sorry, can you clarify for me what is DSL? I guess other posters are assuming it is Disneyland Resort and its parks, but I didn't see that in your post.

Lloydminster, Canada
5. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

oh sorry, yes, Disney Land.

Lloydminster, Canada
6. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Thanks for the tips everyone! So, does anyone know if we need some sort of a Drs note?

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
7. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Oh, okay. : ) I saw DSL and all I could think of right away was a type of internet service. Got confused for a moment. LOL Disneyland Resort's online abbreviation is DLR.

I don't think they even except Dr.'s notes anymore, nor require them - but the posted link to the Disneyland Resort website should have information about that. You can rent either a standard wheel chair or an electronic one (sorry, forgot the exact name - I think they are called EVCs). They have more standard ones. As mentioned they are not just for the use of those who cannot walk, but for those with temporary issues. If you read the links that Scott posted, there should be some specific FAQs for you. The wheel chairs cannot be taken outside the parks (although, I believe they can be used to go from one park to another). For that reason, you might want to look into renting one from a nearby medical supply business. Perhaps someone on the forums will have a recommendation. I could be possible to have one delivered to your hotel. It might be a cheaper and more convenient way to get go.

Edited: 3:27 pm, February 23, 2013
Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
8. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Opps, I meant to type, "It could be possible to have one delivered to your hotel." What I typed sounded like I might deliver it myself!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
9. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Almost all of the rides will have wheelchair access, he will just have to transfer to the ride vehicle. There are some rides that may not be that great for his back . Check on the Disneyland website and on park maps and each ride/attraction will have information on accessibility. Also use the free Fast Pass. You can get an access pass at City Hall on Main Street

Lloydminster, Canada
10. Re: Husband's back just went out six days before we go!

Thanks, Redlands! I totally knew that it's DLR, my fingers just typed what they wanted instead! Didn't even see what I typed until you asked, lol! Yes, I have read all that was given to me , so far :) I guess our concern is that we just don't want to look ....hmmmm what's the word?? Inconsiderate to others; since we have never had to worry about this before we don't know proper protocol :)

Thanks about the rental tip.. we had already talked about that, after reading that they couldn't be taken to Downtown Disney. Makes sense, though .

Are the wheelchair lines different than the other line or do you just go in the same lines? Wow. It is crazy that I have never noticed this before!