We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hilo, Hawaii...
reviews: 4
Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Hey everyone

I know this question has been posted several times, but since its 2013 and I haven't seen much of this since last year, I am going to ask again.

We are traveling to southern california from May 21-29. (It will be my first time!) I am very excited but being pretty clueless about the area I have used this site to help me plan the trip.

Right now I am stuck on what to order in terms of tickets. This is what our schedule looks like so far. We will be at disneyland for four days, Sea world one, and universal for one. I am also thinking of doing the san diego zoo, but am still debating on whether or not I want a "free" day on my vacation. (I have a four year old who I know will love the zoo). It looks like the Citypass may be my best option, but I am still confused on how the upgrades work. I would need to upgrade one more day at disneyland and for the "front of the line pass" at universal. If I upgrade for one more day at disneyland I understand I get a credit of $250, but would I be using the credit for a single day purchase (250-119=paying $131) or a four day parkhopper ticket (275-250=paying $25). If anyone knows any adivice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

You get the credit towards any ticket at Disneyland, so whatever the current price of a 4 day ParkHopper minus the SoCal CityPASS credit.

As for Universal Studios, you can buy a Front of the Line Pass as a stand alone item inside the park.

But right now, not sure what the going rate will be, as they tend to go up in May. But I would say about $60 per person for the FotL pass at Universal, and around $50 per person at Disneyland

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 80
2. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

You are correct on credit for you 3 day Parkhopper through a SoCal City Pass. You simply add the extra day to your 3 day Parkhopper before the end of the last day on the 3 day Parkhopper. It would cost you $25 per ticket to do that right now.

But you should be aware, its possible that prices for Disneyland tickets will rise before your visit, as they raised prices last year around mid May, but there no way to know if that will happen for this year.

If they do, you will have to pay the higher price in the difference between your credit, and whatever the new cost of a 4 day Parkhopper may be.

As for Universal Studios ticket in a SoCal City Pass, you can add the Front of the line Pass inside the Park if you feel you need to, ust ask any employee where to go to add the Pass, but I doubt in most of May if you would need the extra Front of the line pass.You may also want to avoid being at theme Parks for May 24-27 for 2013, or at least Disneyland as its a very busy Holiday weekends Memorial Day.

Edited: 7:15 pm, February 13, 2013
Hilo, Hawaii...
3. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Thanks you two. You guys have the best Anaheim information, and it has been a joy to go through this forum and get as much info as I can from the two of you. We booked our tickets already and that seems to be the only time we could go before the crazy summer months. We are only staying in the park until the 25th, so hopefully we will have gotten a lot out of the way. I dont really mind though, my daughter is four and if we are just climbing the playgrounds and seeing the princesses, I will be happy with that. I just wanted to make sure I am getting the best deals :)

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
4. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Have you looked at Knott's Berry Farm, they have low rates, especially if you buy online in advance.

www.knotts.com

Adventure City is also nearby and is a fun park for young ones. Also a low entry cost.

http://www.adventurecity.com/

Maybe opt for one of these two parks instead of a fourth day at the Disneyland Resort. Both are easy to get using public transit, and close to the DLR.

And by the way, you are welcome, and htp is also awesome, but don't forget RedlandsRedhead, and now the return of chocopenguin. It shows you don't have to be a "local" to provide good information to TA posters.

Edited: 1:28 am, February 14, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
5. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

I think a 4th day at Disneyland is fine to include especially with a small child it gives you much more flexablility so you can take things at a slower pace rather than rushing all around.

Most of May is usually a very good time for a visit to Disneyland crowdwise and weatherwise, but you would need to keep in mind that hours are usually shortened during the weekdays something like 10am till 8pm M-Thurs. and 8am till 12pm Fri,Sat,Sun. There is usually a nightly World of Color show.

However, in May the Fireworks and Fantasmic shows are only on the weekends, Fri,Sat,Sun so you may want to include a weekend day if you want to see those.

Edited: 10:11 am, February 14, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
6. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

The Fireworks and Fantasmic shows would usually also be showing on the actual Memorial Day Monday and have later hours as well on that weekday only. And, if you want a weekend day of your dates on a Holiday weekend, that may be the slowest day of the busy 3 day weekend.

SoCal
reviews: 7
7. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Universal is really not that great with a 4 year old, there is very little she can do or will appreciate there. Now if you want to go for the adults, by all means go. I would suggest a day at Legoland instead of Universal, or even instead of a 4th day at DL/DCA. Legoland is such a great park for kids. It is designed for kids and has rides they will love, it is interactive, some rides require participation, it has lots of play areas, places to get wet, etc. You do not need to be into legos to love it. There is also an aquarium and water park (you would need a second day to do those though). I would take a 4 year old to Legoland before Knotts or Adventure City, Legoland is much better.

I am not sure of your travel plans and where you will stay, car, etc., but if you want a zoo, the LA Zoo is excellent and closer to Anaheim than the SD Zoo.

Good choice with Seaworld, your daughter should love it.

Edited: 10:39 am, February 14, 2013
Hilo, Hawaii...
8. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Thanks for the updates. I really appreciate it. I think we will do a fourth day at disneyland. We are staying right across the street at BW Park place inn, and we are renting a car. We chose universal really for me, my husband, and my brother in law. We are huge movie buffs (and surprisingly my four year old is too) so that is actually the part of the trip that I am most excited about!

Does anyone know if I need to upgrade my Socal city pass on the first day at disneyland or can I wait until the third day to upgrade the parkhopper? That will give me a little more flexibility with my plans.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
9. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

The BW Park Place Inn is a standard well rated Motel and the closest Motel to the Disneyland Main Entrance, so a short 5 min walk across the street , through the Disneyland Main Entrance, and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park.

Keep in mind that Universal does have some more extreme things in the Tour that might make a 4 year old uncomfortable, and rides are geared for older children and adults. Thats why its usually not suggested to visit with a young child. You may want to look through their website to see what you think.

You would need to add your 4th day by the end of the last day on the 3 day Parkhopper ticket.

Edited: 12:21 pm, February 14, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
10. Re: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.

Also, you should be aware when you use a SoCal City Pass, they will scan it at the Turnstiles and then give you a 3 day Disneyland Parkhopper ticket to use for you stay.

They have also added additional security features which I believe also apply to a SoCal City Pass that have your photo being taken while in line to get into the Park, then showing a Photo ID at the Turnstiles, they would then write your name on the 3 day Parkhopper ticket, and link the photo to the Parkhopper ticket. Then anytime you enter either Park, you would need to show your Parkhopper ticket to get scanned, and your Photo ID.

Reply to: Upgrading a socal pass to include one more day at disney.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted