We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you agree with the accommodation???.

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
Would you agree with the accommodation???.

Hi,

Someone told me l should stay at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel and Waterplayground.....

I have noticed it only has a 2 star rating though. Is it a little rundown? It looks good in the photos....

Can anyone recommend any other hotels as I have no idea? We have a 15 and 11 year old and would like to be nice and close to the action...

Many thanks.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
1. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

My family stayed there for 10 days in 2010 and I have booked it again for 7 nights in June this year.

I suggest you read the reviews and see if it will suit your family.

Be mindful that the star rating is usually based on the facilities available. This hotel does not have Room Service, Restaurant, concierge, bell hops etc. it does have coin laundry, well stocked mini mart, pool, water playground and clean good sized rooms. Free parking & Wi Fi.

You need to decide what is important to you.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance - we enjoyed Millie's next door.

Walk to Disneyland is an easy 20 minutes but can be done in 10 minutes with a couple of very excited children.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

That's great feedback- thank you!!!! The free wi fi and parking is great...

I like the look of it. Is it one of the closest hotels to DL?

Sydney,Australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

There are a large number of hotels very close. We also have stayed here and at the tropicana. The tropicana is directly across the road from DLand the HJohnson is probably a little more modern and about a 3 min walk.

SoCal
reviews: 7
4. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

What is your budget per night in US$, when are you coming for your visit and what are your expectations in a motel or hotel?

Onoway, Canada
reviews: 37
5. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

My friend stayed at the Tropicana and said it is a s***hole. Your kids might be too old for the waterpark at the Howard Johnson and it is definetly a well used hotel. (along with other hotels in the Disneyland area). WIFI is free in *most* accomodations. We always stay at the Homewood Suites in Garden Grove. They have a one bedroom suite with two queen beds and a living area with a sectional sofa bed and a mini kitchen. My kids are teens and they each get thier own bed and one gets thier own tv lol. They include breakfast every morning and supper Mon-Thurs. They have a shuttle ($$) that will take you back and forth to Disneyland. There are restaurants within walking distance and a Target store across the street for all your needs.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
6. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

Howard Johnsons is a nice well rated Hotel, but is not new. Its also a more basic Hotel with limited services. Its about an 11 min walk to the Disneyland Main Entrance and to the turnstiles that go into either Park. So it just depends on what you are looking for, as some of the standard Motels will be half that walk.

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located around the Disneyland Main Entrance. The Entrance to Disneyland is off of Harbor blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

Most of those would be standard Motels ( some well rated, but again not new if thats what you are looking for, but clean) With a Few Hotels in a little farther walking distance, like the Howard Johnsons, and the Fairfield Inn..... also a limited service Hotel with mostly exterior corridors, about an 8 min walk through the Disneyland Main Entrance and to the Turnstiles that go into either Park.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

There would also depending on your budget be the Disney owned Hotels.

Nicer Hotels in about a 15 min walking distance ( with shuttle service) such as Residence Inn Maingate..... ( free Parking, free full breakfast, full kitchens) Shuttle service.Sheraton Park Hotel... also about a 15 min walk with Art Shuttl service. Red Lion ( called Anaheim Maingate on the Map) .... also about a 15 min walk with Art Shuttle service.

Edited: 1:40 pm, January 21, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
7. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

I agree with the comment that your kids are probably too old for the water play area. Here is a good representation of the water play area.

dadlogic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Howa…

Look at the ages of the kids..... your 11 year old might fit in, your 15 year old will want to rip their hair out.

What is your budget? What are the most important features for you?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
reviews: 12
8. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

Good point from Scott about what you want from your hotel. Everyone has different requirements & expectations. When I'm at Disneyland, staying as close as possible to the entrance is what's most important, which is why I've booked the BW Park Place Inn again for my next trip.

My last 3 stays have been at the Tropicana (rooms too small, pay for WiFi, so there are much better options). BWPPI & HoJo's. I really like BWPPI but I had a car for a few days on my last trip & would have had to pay for parking, so thought I'd try HoJo's given the good reviews it has. Accommodation wise it was fine, but my room didn't have good WiFi reception, which was a problem for me & the hotel couldn't fix it. I also found the extra few minutes walk back to the hotel harder than I thought it would be.

But I'm not travelling with children or teens & I also don't need full service hotels. I'm very happy with motels as long as they are clean & well kept. Convenience & location as a higher priority for me, especially when I know I won't be spending much time in the room.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

We are coming in Mid June and I don't mind the cost. All seem relatively cheap in Anaheim. We want to be CLOSE to the gates....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
10. Re: Would you agree with the accommodation???.

Well the closest would be the Grand Californian which is a Disney owned Hotel since its located directly next to California Adventure Park and has its own private entrance. However, its likely to be around $450 per night.

Mid June is a Busy time as alot of Schools in the U.S. will take off June,July,August for a summer break time, so prices will be higher and Disneyland will be busy.

Other than the Grand Californian, the closest to the Disneyland Main Entrance is a standard well rated clean Motel, the Best Western Park Place Inn. Its directly across the street from the Disneyland Main Entrance, so you basically walk across the street through the entrance and to the Turnstiles in about 5 min.

But, the Best Western Park Place Inn it not a Hotel, with those kind of amenities if thats what your looking for.