We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

We are a family of four from Australia and I am starting to plan a trip to the US in April 2013. I have been reading the forum and have noted that Spring Break occurs at this time and crowd levels can be very high.

I am wondering if any one can comment on Easter and crowd levels next April? Easter is very early next year, Easter Sunday is March 31. Will Spring Break still occur the week before Easter, even though Easter is so early? Or is it likely more schools will have their Spring Break after Easter?

At this early stage, we would have our first day at Disneyland on the Wednesday after Easter. I am looking at getting a 4-day park hopper. Whilst I know DL will still be quite busy at this time, I am trying to minimise the chance of going when it is super busy.

Thanks,

Judy

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
1. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

"Spring Break" refers to the week or two weeks that schools take a break in their year, maybe between semesters, quarters, or trimesters, or just 'because.' Each district, college, or university gets to set their own calendar. There is not one Spring Break.

In general, the 'spring break season' (if there is such a term) is mid-March to mid-April.

One advantage to visiting Disneyland during Spring Break (that month-long 'season') is that Disneyland will be open extended hours and have plenty of parades & other entertainment.

One suggestion that other Australian and New Zealand families have shared is to get a 14 day ticket. You don't go to Disneyland or California Adventure every day, but if you're still in the general area, you might go to the beach during the day and to a parade in Disneyland that night. Or maybe you go to San Diego for a few days, then head back up to Anaheim and go on a few favorite rides. It sounds like families who choose to purchase this special ticket really enjoy extending the fun.

But maybe you'll have all the fun you need in 4 days and will be ready to move on to another part of California. Travel styles vary.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 83
2. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

The Major Spring Break time for most Secondary and Elementary Schools is usually the full Week before Easter Sunday, which can fall in April or May depending on the year.

Most will take off the Full week Before Easter as a Spring Break, a lesser amount will take off the full week after Easter Sunday.

You might want to aslo consider the 14 day Disneyland Pass mentioned that is now only available as far as im aware for Australian Residents, at least on Expedia Australia which is usually the least expensive option.

The Pass is about the same cost as a 5 day Parkhopper so its a very good value.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
3. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

I think happytotrip meant the vast majority of Spring Breaks are in March or April. Here is a college spring break calendar: tripsmarter.com/travelinfo/panama-city-beach…

Some public school districts take the first full week of April, regardless of Easter. Some always take the week before Easter or the week after. Some always take the 3rd week of March or the 4th week of March. I think Monterey (CA) takes two weeks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 83
4. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Oops, i should have said:

"The Major Spring Break time for most Secondary and Elementary Schools is usually the full Week before Easter Sunday, which can fall in MARCH OR APRIL depending on the year.

SoCal
reviews: 7
5. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Some take the week before Easter, some the week after Easter and some take both weeks.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 18
6. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Hi. As a fellow Aussie who visited Disneyland for the first time in December 2011 I would definitely get the 14 day park hopper pass (or vacation pass as it is sometimes referred to) as it gives you the freedom to "pop" into either park when you want (assuming you are in the area for more than 4 days). If you get bad weather, then you can change your plans and go another day instead. Best bet is to wait for the dollar to be high, as expedia's disneyland tickets tend to correspond to the rate of the aussie Dollar. Don't think you can purchase that far ahead yet though. Anyway, print off the price quote from Expedia and take it to Flight Centre and I believe they will better the deal. Can't offer any info regarding crowds at that time or sping break sorry. Hope you have a great trip. Regards A.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
7. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Thank you all for your replies! So, from what I can gather, the fact that Easter Sunday is very early in 2013, it will not really alter when schools will take their Spring Breaks.

Thanks also for the information on the 14 day pass. I will definitely consider this as we plan to be in Anaheim for 7 nights or so.

I know it is still over a year to go, but I am so looking forward to this trip!

Judy

Salmon Arm, Canada
8. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

I was there the last week of March and the first week of April. The last week of March was not what I would consider crowded at all however the first week of April was insane. I found out that a large number of Mexican schools also take spring break the week prior to Easter as well as some local area public schools. I wasn't there for the week of Easter so I can't comment other to say that I was told that a lot of public schools are on spring break that week also. Apparently many universities are out for their spring break for March until the middle of April however I found that the university crowds are not too bad.

In short, a wait for space mountain in March for us was approximately 15-20 minutes while the second week was probably a good 45 minutes. Use fast pass. It really works.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Hi jury after march 31st there won't be any 14 day pass anymore on 10 day passes.

Silverdale...
reviews: 69
10. Re: Disneyland and Spring Break 2013

Orange County's Spring break this year is the week of March 25th - 29th. This is the area where Disneyland is located. However - people come from all over the U.S. during Spring break - so I guess you would have to google to see if you can find out where other parts of the country have their spring breaks.

Just thought this would help. I would think if you avoid the week I mentioned, it would help because most people who live in that area - probably have season tickets and will go to Disneyland during that time.

Hope this helps!! Enjoy your visit to the States!!