We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World vs. Disneyland

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 8
Disney World vs. Disneyland

We are WDW pros.... first time to DL, though. Still trying to get this "walking into the park" thing and "walking between the parks" thing in my head. So hard to grasp this concept after DW.

Any advice from DL pros? Especially anyone who's done both...

Any better places to eat without spending a fortune? I saw the prices at Blue Bayou and almost fell over. They seem higher than WDW...

SoCal
reviews: 7
1. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

Blue Bayou is the most expensive. Most meals are in the $8 to $15 range. I don't think prices are more expensive than WDW, there are many more restaurants at WDW and many are much more expensive than DL. I like Plaza Inn best.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 343
2. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

>>>They seem higher than WDW...<<<

Could be. CA has much higher wages than FL and higher business taxes as well.

Have you been to the DisBoards? Great advice over there and all Disney centric.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
3. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

I have never been to WDW, but grew up with DL and been many times. My favorite place to eat lunch in DL, especially on a nice day, is the French Market in New Orleans Square. It has outside tables under a canopy with a great view of the Rivers of America and the Haunted Mansion. It is right next to the New Orleans Square station of Disneyland Railroad. My favorite meal is jambalaya with veggies and a cornbread roll. It is large enough for two to share. That and a soda runs me under $18. Look on the Entertainment Calendar on the official Disneyland website and check off Park Atmosphere to see if the Royal Street Bachelors jazz band are playing. That is the venue where they play.

I also like taking in my own sandwich (lockers are provided on Main Street beginning at $7 for the day with in and out privilages). I prefer to take that to the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant if a band is scheduled to play at night. Having twice seen Scot Bruce and his tribute band do Elvis standards, I have become a fan.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
4. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

Here are two good threads that discuss the differences between the two Parks for you to look through that should be very helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k470393…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k512105…

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 16
5. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

I've been to both, but more to DL than my one trip to DW.

DL is basically the Magic Kingdon, only smaller, 85 acres vs 107 acres, according to http://allears.net/dlr/tp/dl/dlmk.htm . Personally, I found main street DL to have a better feel thatn main street DW, probably due to it's more intimate feel. . The above article talkls more about other differences.

The really big difference, which is what has you confused, is that when DL was built, Walt Disney had no idea how popular it would be, so he didn't buy up every square inch of the surrounding land. The Disney Company did not make that mistake with DW, and that's why you can stay across the street from DL in a non-Disney property, hence this business of walking into the park. No way you can do that at DW. Likewise, California Adventure is bult on what used to be DL's parking lot! So you can just walk between the parks.

Have a good time and I hope you visit some other attractions in So. Cal.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
6. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

Some of the show buildings for Disneyland Park had to be built on the other side of the Disneyland Railroad berm because of lack of room. You will not notice this. An example is the Haunted Mansion. The elevator in the "stretching room" goes down instead of up. (Although you cannot sense that.) If I remember correctly, the hallway in the Haunted Mansion is actually an underground tunnel underneath the berm and leading to the show building.

The way I heard it, one of the reasons Walt Disney didn't buy more land in Anaheim prior to building the park is he could not afford to at the time.

Make sure to see the Disney Gallery on Main Street where you can chat with docents about the beginnings of Disneyland. You may also want to see if you can get a ride in the Lilly Belle VIP car on the DLRR, which Lillian Disney had renovated in honor of Walt's love of railroading. You can also request a "tender ride" on the DLRR and you may just ride seated directly behind one of the engine's Walt drove.

Alberta
reviews: 71
7. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

What my teens and I love most about Disneyland is that all our favorite rides are in one park. And our number one favorite is only at Disneyland; Indianna Jones. We like the convenience of being to walk across the street to our hotel. At Disneyworld, we booked last minute, and could not get a room at a Disney property. The hotel we choose had a shuttle, but it only ran a couple of times in the am and then again towards closing.

Visalia, CA
reviews: 37
8. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

A RedlandsRedhead mentioned you can take some food into the park to help save $$$ and also that is one less line you have to wait in. We always take a sandwich some snacks, & water. They do check the backpacks but I have never had a problem or been hassled in any way. Another dining option would be to eat in Downtown Disney. Have fun.

los angeles
9. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

I live in soutern cal and just got back from 4th trip to wdw.

There's just no comparision between the WDW complex and the DL/CA in southern ca. Two parks vs. Four Parks. Limited on-site hotels vs. virtually unlimited on site hotels. Walk between parks vs. shuttle or drive between parks.

Here's my take on DL. When you arrive, you will park in the world's largest parking structure. There's only one place to park for DL and CA and its in the structure. Just remember where you parked.

DL and CA are each on one side of the Downtown Disney. DD is considerably smaller than DD is Orlando; its essentially a long landscaped walkway with retail/resturants.

There's no much in the way of table service resturants inside DL and Blue Bayou is very expensive for moderately good food. If you want table service at a bit more reasonable price, consider the resturants in DD.

The nice thing about DL/CA is that its entirely possible to do both parks on the same day.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 85
10. Re: Disney World vs. Disneyland

There is more parking besides the MIckey and Friends Parking lot mentioned,

There is also a newer parking on Harbor Blvd, the Toy Story Parking lot

And the Pumba parking lot on Disney Way (but is not allway open)