We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Coffee in Anaheim

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
50 reviews
Good Coffee in Anaheim

Hi all,

I'll be in Anaheim in 2 weeks, spending most of my time at/around the convention center.

Does anyone know of good coffee around there? Not Starbucks etc, but actual fresh brewed, barista prepped coffee. I know I must sound like a snob, but Starbucks coffee is terrible compared to the espresso we get in Australia.

Can anyone help?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

You don't sound like a snob.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Hopefully someone can help you. I checked chowhound.com & yelp.com & it didn't look too promising.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
15,472 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Starbucks do have freshly brewed, barista prepped coffees. But in general US coffee is not as good as what you can get in Europe. I don't know how good Oz coffee is. Can't help you there.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Starbucks is disgusting. About 12 years ago I used to go there often in Washington. It was quite good. I can barely swallow it now. My son even gags on their baked goods. 7-11 would be better.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

I agree that Starbucks has lowered the standards for fresh brewed coffee here in the US. The problem is that now a lot of younger people that know no better think of it as the 'standard'. The only thing I order at Starbucks is their black iced tea.

Anyway, if you are at a major event at the Anaheim Convention Center check around. Usually they have a number of independent coffee booths, spread around the inside of the convention center, usually within the convention itself, many of which use Italian or French brands and will make it however you order it.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Actually, it was more like 15 16 years ago. I like drip coffee. Their beans were pretty good. Also, each store had different pastries/muffins that they got from local bakeries. Now, it is brewed super hot and has such a terrible flavor. I think they want you to buy a $6.00 flavor drink.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Did you have any joy with the coffee? Hubby likes strong espresso (stand spoon in it kinda strong) and the thought of a week at disney with what will probably equate to instant is depressing him (he rates starbucks as an instant). I've googled coffee roasters and am having no luck. Did you survive and if so where did you go? I have heard of others taking the drastic step of buying a small machine and installing in hotel room but I can't say this appeals when I don't know the standard of machine branding in the US. Any help would be great.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

I like Francesca N's idea of buying a coffee maker (2 wks is a long time)

and when you are in L.A. proper, like West Hollywood or Beverly Hills, look up the store called Peet's. Now they have proper coffee. Buy a couple of pounds and brew away. They'll sell you a nice cup too.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Well, sorry, your time came and gone. But in case anyone else is thinking along these lines, Peet's can be found in L.A., but only in Orange County at Manhattan Beach.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Good Coffee in Anaheim

Francesca, I stayed at Hojo's last trip & the coffee in the room was quite good as it was a pod machine. The cappucino's at Carnation Cafe in Disneyland are OK.

If you are visiting other places around LA, there are some excellent coffee shops. Peets, as mentioned, is good. As is Urth Cafe on Main St in Santa Monica & Melrose Ave. But the best coffee was at Intelligentsia, which was recommended by my coffee supplier. I went to their stores at Venice Beach & Silver Lake, it's worth going out of your way to get really good, strong espredsso based coffee. There will be a long queue to order, it's that good. http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/