We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

universal studios with 2 young children

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MelbAussieland
reviews: 2
universal studios with 2 young children

Were planning a visit to universal studios in september, we have two young children age 18months & 3yrs, do you think it'll be appropriate for them?

cheers

Noosa, Australia
reviews: 21
1. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

Hi,

We have a 3 year old & we decided for our trip last year (when he was 2) & again for this year to leave Universal for now. I based this on info from a book I read called The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and it also covers Universal. Some of that section reads: "We do not recommend Universal Studios Hollywood for preschoolers. Of 11 major attractions, all but 2 (Hollywood Animal Actors and Shrek 4D) have the potential for flipping out sensitive little ones." They also have a chart with small shild fright potential for each major attraction.

Having said that I am a big believer in making things work when travelling with small kids & all kids are different so you know yours best and if you really want to go them by all means go & maybe just take turns with your partner if things look too scary for your littlies to experience. I am sure you can make a good day work at Universal if its on your must do list.

I haven't been to Universal for many many years so hopefully someone who has been there recently might be able to add some extra ideas as well.

For us we decided the long trip from Anaheim combined with the fact that we could just wander into DL instead helped us decide to put Universal on the backburner till my son is a little older.

Cheers

Dee

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 48
2. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

I don't think Universal is appropriate for young children. It is really geared up to older children, and adults.

If you are looking for other things to do, Sea World San Deigo is great for you kids, as well as Legoland!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 977
3. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

You would better going to Disneyland with kids of that age.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
4. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

I don't think Universal Studios is appropriate for them.

Assuming that you are staying in Anaheim, visiting Disneyland and looking for something to do in addition to Disneyland, I would suggest instead a few hours at Knott's in Buena Park, which is closer to Disneyland – about 6 miles to the northwest. The Camp Snoopy section of Knott’s would be good for their ages. In the Ghost Town section (the western section), a ride on the stagecoach may be nice, as long as you ask for outside and up front so the kids can see the horses and are not confined inside. They may see Snoopy or one of the Peanuts Gang in Camp Snoopy and the attractions there are geared towards young kids. As a family, you may like the Mystery Lodge show, a Native American storytelling show with special effects and a theme about family. There may also be Native American dancers in Ghost Town/Indian Trails. Sometimes little ones around three years enjoy the saloon show, usually a male and/or a female singer and sometimes some dancers in a small setting (wooden chairs around tables a short distance from the stage).

Check out the Knott’s website for specials. I think children three years and under are free. Make sure to visit the duck pond in front of Independence Hall at Knott’s Resort. This is a free area across the street from the entrance to the theme park, accessible via an open air tunnel. Bring cheerios or pieces of bread to throw to the ducks and roosters that roam around that area. You may enjoy a picnic at the nearby table. Normally recommended is lunch or dinner at the famous Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, in the Marketplace section of Knott's Resort (also a free area, which includes shops). However, there is also a Chicken-To-Go place next to the restaurant, if you don’t want to wait, and a hamburger place also close to it. Across from the restaurant is Snoopy’s Headquarters, a shop filled with Snoopy and Peanuts related merchandise as well as a small screen that shows parts of Peanuts shows. (Note: Camp Snoopy also has a Snoopy store.)

knotts.com/coinfo/history/index.shtml#knott

Another idea would be, depending on what time of year you are planning your visit, a day at the beach at Balboa Pier and Fun Zone.

MelbAussieland
reviews: 2
5. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

Hello

Thank you to everyone for making my decision not to go an easy one.

We are going to Disneyland & planning on going to seaworld.

Thanks for all your great advise, this website has made planning our trip very easy to plan.

looking forward to our trip in September, not long now.

cheers

6. Re: universal studios with 2 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 06, 2010