We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it a good idea to rent a car

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
reviews: 3
is it a good idea to rent a car

We are flying to LA from canada in oct, is it a good idea to rent a van so the 9 of us can travel to disneyland? Or is there other ways to get there?

New York City
reviews: 1
1. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

Just so you know, if the van you're thinking of renting is a minivan, most minivans fit 6 comfortably (2 in the front, 2 or 3 in the middle depending on the # of seats and 3 in the back), 7-8 becomes a squeeze and 9 is kind of pushing it especially if most of the passengers are adult-sized. Also you propbably won't be able to fit all of your pasengers' luggage in the van after everyone boards. The trunk space in the back is very narrow...

Unfortunately I can't tell you information on other options which I'm sure are out there. Good luck!

Comox, Canada
reviews: 77
2. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

If you are flying into LAX there are several kinds of shuttles that will take you right to the door of your hotel in Anaheim. The cheapest choice are the buses. They run about every hour and they are usually very obvious with pictures of Disney characters on them. You can even book these ahead in Canada before you even leave home. The other shuttles are like SuperShuttle, Express Shuttle, etc. and are vans that can usually fit about 7 passengers (so you would need 2). They wait until they are full before they leave, but of course they fill up faster since they fit alot fewer passengers than a bus. They are more expensive, but are faster because they go to less hotels than the bus does. These too, can be booked ahead or you can just get them once you leave the airport. We have done both options. We now prefer the shuttle vans just because they are faster.

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 5
3. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

You would probably have to rent a 12 passanger van to transport everyone and those are spendy. 12 of us went in May of 2004. We ended up renting 2 vehicles because we wanted the flexability of going to other places.

I think the shuttles are 20-30 dollars each way. (I know that we looked at one that was 20 each way so for us the total bill was going to be 480.00 dollars.) It was better for us to rent the vehicles.

West Lawn...
reviews: 64
4. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

If you are staying in Anaheim most of the hotels are serviced by the Disneyland Shuttle. You wouldnt need a car to drive there. However, I would highly recommend renting a car to do other trips because you won't want to do Disneyland everyday.

Canada
reviews: 5
5. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

We just came back from DL (from Canada also). We had 8 people and rented a 12 passenger van from Budget. It was a blast. Having our own vehicle made going to different places (other than just DL parks) much more convenient. It was $89US per day with unlimited kms. We looked at the option of renting two cars/minivan for a cheaper price but would then have to consider paying twice the amount of gas, inconvenience of two vehicles and possibilty of splitting up/getting lost from the crazy traffic. The good thing about Budget was no obligation/deposit required to reserve the van while I looked at other options.

Taunton
reviews: 16
6. Re: is it a good idea to rent a car

Golfer

Unless you wish to spend all day every day being "Disney'd" I would really suggest that your own transport is a must.

There is so much to see and do around LA that it would be daft to miss them.

Even if you only want to hit the Parks I would suggest a trip to Knotts and Universal would add great experiences to your holiday.