We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Wisconsin?

Which Wisconsin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
reviews: 14
Where to go in Wisconsin?

We are a family with 4 small kids ages 6 to 1yr. We have never been to Wisconsin before, but we are interesed in a long weekend this fall. We anticipate that there will be some very beautiful drives, some great dairy farm tours for the older two kids, a pumpkin patch or two, and maybe a theme park. We would have our own vehicle and about two full days once we get to Wisconsin. We know very little about the state, but we'd love to explore, and do a bit of a reconnisance, so we can come back in the future and focus on one or two places that seemed to be the most interesting. We were thinking about the weekend before Halloween for a general time of travel.

1. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:59 pm, May 20, 2007
Wisconsin
reviews: 16
2. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

There are lots of neat places to go in our state, from lake shore to farms to big city to resorts to deep woods. Since you are coming for a short time, you might want to explore the western side of the state. There's lots to do: steamboat tours, wineries, farms, great state parks, historical sites, scenic drives, House on the Rock (your older kids would like that), quaint towns.

One website that you might want to look at is www.discoverwisconsin.com. It might be helpful to look at some overviews of the state on the web and then ask some specific questions of areas of interest to you. Everyone on the board will give you a different recommendation, so if you can narrow it down, it will help us to steer you in the right direction.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 63
3. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

Door County with 4 young kids? I am not so sure about that.

You will find many beautiful drives to view fall colors and lots of places to pick pumpkins and apples. I don't know about touring a dairy farm. Other than some special events I don't know of any farms that are open regularly for tours.

You might be intersted in Old World Wisconsin which has historical farm houses still worked and activities for kids. The Elegant Farmer in East Troy, not far from Old World Wisconsin has apple and pumpkin picking, trolley rides and other activities for kids.

The Wisconsin Dells has indoor water parks which are fun for kids year round. There are lots of fall activities around the Dells too.

You need to google Wisconsin tourism. You will find many other ideas for fall fun. Wisconsin is a big state. I assume coming from Nebraska you would drive thru Iowa and northwest Illinois, entering Wisconsin at Beloit. If you want to visit the Wisconsin Northwoods you are looking at another 8 to 10 hours drive.

Wisconsin
reviews: 16
4. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

Yes, there are dairy farm tours in various parts of the state. If not specifically identified on the Wisconsin tourism web sites, then Google Wisconsin dairy farm tours and you will get a bunch of hits.

Fort Atkinson, WI
reviews: 6
5. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

What do your older kids like?

The Milwaukee area boasts a great zoo, the museum, an IMAX, the children's museum and probably a half dozen ethnic festivals in the fall.

The Madison area has a much smaller zoo, Eplegaarden ( a farm with hayrides, pony rides, halloween fun), a great botanical garden, downtown shopping, etc.

Fort Atkinson, WI
reviews: 6
6. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

There's also the House on the Rock and the Cave of the Mounds. You can most likely google those as well.

Glenview, Illinois
reviews: 2
7. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

Hello Again - Wisconsin is indeed a beautiful State - but I am partial to Door County. I think it was a bit harsh to dismiss DC as a place to go with kids especially since it offers everything that you asked about. It is a Mom and Pop kind of place - not an arcade or state fair type environment but for the activities you enquired about please check out these sites:

http://www.dairyview.com/

http://www.homesteadsuites.com/activities.asp

doorcountynavigator.com/html/cal_2006_octobe…

seaquistorchards.com/pages/doorcountymarket.…

doorweb.innline.com/dceventcalendar.asp

Again, Wisconin is a beautiful state and where ever you end up I am sure you will have a good time.

Madison,WI
reviews: 19
8. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

You can end up spending too much time in the car. If you can I suggest you cross into Wisconsin from Dubuque. There is beautiful countryside south of Platteville. Mineral Point = Pendarvis. Dodgeville = Gov. Dodge State Park. Blue Mounds = State Park and Cave. Into Madison = Capitol, University, Zoo.

Still going? Then, Lake Wisconsin = Gibraltar Rock. Baraboo = Devil's Lake. Finally, The Wisconsin Dells. You're going to need more time if you want to travel further across the state.

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 7
9. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

We've done Door Co with kids for years...

Wilson's Ice Cream parlor, Ephraim

evening carraige ride, Ephraim

several miniature golf courses, and one go kart place/batting cage

Hands On a place to paint your own ceramics located on a cool farm, Fish Creek

Skyway drive in movie, 1st show is always family oriented, Fish Creek

fish boil, usually picnic style and fun to watch, most offer kid friendly alternative to fish for kids, lots of places but Old Post Office in Ephraim is good

Ephraim public beach is sandly and very shallow for a long time excellent for small kids, others are Nicolet Beach in Penninsula St Park (has snack bar) and Sister Bay public beach

rent bikes (with baby carrier and kangaroo "third wheel" for older kids), and ride easy beautiful trails in Penninsula St Park, Fish Creek

The Farm, a working farm/petting zoo, Sturgeon Bay

The Bead Bucket for kids who like to pick out and make simple to complex bead jewelery, Ephraim

Beach People, a little girl's gift shop paradise, Ephraim

Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant, during warm season has real goats on grass roof to eat grass, hugely popular so go during off hours, kid menu, Sister Bay

Need more?! Let me know!

Brookfield...
10. Re: Where to go in Wisconsin?

I would suggest coming 1 to 2 weeks before you have planned. The last Thursday and Friday in October are public teachers convention every year. Many people travel and Wisconsin Dells charges higher rates during that time. We in fact are heading to Iowa to get away from all the Wisconsin travelers. Also, the fall color is usually gone by late October. If you want to do an indoor waterpark in the Dells, the rates are much cheaper Sunday thru Thursday nights(except for when the kids get off of school.) With 6 poeple I would stay at Treasure Island/Mt. Olympus. Book 30 days in advance with an entertainment card and you can get a Captain Quarters 3 room suite for $85. We have stayed in all the large waterparks but this is favorite because we can see our kids. The Wilderness, Great Wolf, and Kalhari have too many spots where you can't see the little ones. My kids are getting older so this is not so much of an issue as when they were small. I am sure you can find a place to go apple picking. Enjoy.