We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobile trip report

Chicago
reviews: 170
Snowmobile trip report

rode mon morn to tues eve out of minoqua… rode from minoqua west via corridor 10 out to park falls, then further out to winter… stayed overnite in winter, then next morn rode up to clam lake via corridor 25, then back east via corridor 8, across the flambeau flowage to mercer, then south to minoqua via trail 17… put on a paltry 108 miles the first day, but a respectable 152 the next day for a total of 260 for the ride…. trails, for the most part, were about 70% excellent, and the rest fair as they weren’t groomed yet… but, instead of getting that sloppy rain sunday nite, they got about 9 inches of wet stuff which made for some excellent riding because by the time we got on it, it had dried into some nice pow…not to mention, our entire ride looked like a winter wonderland! there were, however, widespread tree branches hanging over the trails, and in a few places, entire trees blocked, or partially blocked the trails due to the heavy snow....

also, we spotted a group of 4 bull elk, with full racks, a few miles south of clam lake…. i was very surprised to see them in wisconsin (one crossed the trail about 200 feet in front of me!)…. the locals said they introduced a small herd to the area in 1995…. and where there are elk, there are wolves, which somebody told us are also in the area…. pretty cool, if you ask me….

MidWest USA
reviews: 42
1. Re: Snowmobile trip report

Yes, we are lucky to have the Snowmobile trails open and in great shape in Wisconsin finally. Had over 5" of snow last night near Medford, WI. I do not measure fun snowmobiling in miles like some people seem to do, but just in the fun of the ride, enjoying the sights and being with friends. Lots of riders seem to want to race 200 miles a day, and if that is your thing fine. So I would not call your 108 miles paltry, it is all good when riding. Just everyone please stay on your side of the trail especially in turns and over hills when riding fast or slow. Have had too many close calls by speed racers taking up the entire trail when sliding around turns or jumping over hills.

Just going out now for a ride to have lunch. Over 800 miles of trails to ride in our county alone from the house. It is why we moved up here from Illinois 18 + years ago, Come to Wisconsin and enjoy our trail system that our Snowmobile Clubs work hard to keep in great shape for all to enjoy.

Chicago
2. Re: Snowmobile trip report

it's funny, when riding out west (ie-yellowstone/jackson hole area) the last few years (because of unreliable winters around here), when we mention we routinely ride 120-40-50 miles a day, they're shocked... out west it ain't about miles or speed, it's about playing... at any rate, as far as trail riding goes, if i don't do 3 digits in one day, it's a waste, IMO.... too much driving to get up there, and not enough riding.... most i ever did in 1 day is 240 miles in the silvercliff/crandon area of wisc, and on that same ride (2 full days), i racked up 450 miles....solo, no less....

we backpack our trail rides, as opposed to having a base camp and riding out of it each day, so sometimes you need to put on a lot of miles to make it to your next destination.....

we went mon and tues, and basically we had the trails to ourselves..... saw maybe 30 sleds in the 2 days we were up there---and most of them were in the mercer and minoqua areas..... out by winter, park falls and clam lake, it was almost nil....

Wisconsin
reviews: 135
3. Re: Snowmobile trip report

Glad there's some real snow somewhere in Wisconsin! Way too much 0-4" of ice over snow. I had to tell DH about the elk, he fishes in the Minocqua area so I told him to keep his eyes open. We saw them in the Rockies but didn't realize they're here also.

Chicago
4. Re: Snowmobile trip report

the guy at the sled rental joint claims he saw an elk in arbor vitae a few years ago... i do know there are re-introduced elk and moose herds in da yoop (saw a moose run across US-41 west of marquette 20 some years ago)....

5. Re: Snowmobile trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 19, 2014