We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping reservations necessary?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Camping reservations necessary?

In Mid to late June, I'm planning a motorcycle trip in southern and central West Virginia - camping at multiple locations as I travel. Do I need to have reservations for tent camping?

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
267 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

Locals use the state park campgrounds a lot during the summer months. They are beautiful, well kept, and inexpensive. If you are considering any of them, yes, I would recommend reservations.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

thanks!!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

Campgrounds are usually very busy. You might find a spot on a Tues,Wed, or Thurs, but extended weekends on either side can be part of a family 3-day trip if they haven't booked an entire week. I would recommend reservations, especially for weekend days.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

Destination expert? I think I need one. If I had my druthers we'd stay in a different (nice) hotel every night as we explore West Virginia, touring by motorcycle. Unfortunately that would easily double the cost of our two week vacation. What we've done in the past is stay at a hotel or B&B every third night and camp the remainder. Any suggestions?

Waynesville,NC
Level Contributor
267 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

While I'm not the expert, I'm a huge fan of WV state parks! Many of them have lodges-some of them are very, very nice, others are more simple. What they do have in common are beautiful scenery, reasonable rates, lots of activities, and all that wonderful WV hospitality. If you google WV state parks, you'll find them all conveniently located on one website. Have a great trip!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

Thank you!

7. Re: Camping reservations necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 29, 2015