We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

N.C.
reviews: 6
Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

A friend and I are planning to drive up to Bridge Day from North Carolina. We'll probably visit Pipestem the day before and stay overnight in the area somewhere. I've looked at the official Bridge Day parking/shuttle map, and I wanted to see if people had recommendations for which would be the best spot to pick up the shuttle. On the south side, I would imagine, since that's the way we'd be driving afterward. Catch one farther away in Oak Hill, or closer in Fayetteville? If so, which is the best bet?

How long will it take to walk across the bridge (roughly, since everybody's speed is different)? Also, are there bathroom facilities near the bridge that will be open? I wasn't sure with the government shutdown. Even port-a-johns!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
reviews: 37
1. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

Go thru Oak Hill and stay on Rt. 19. Go to the Fayetteville High School. You will turn right onto Laurel St....go straight...high school at end of street. That is the best shuttle...in my opinion. Lines are not nearly as long as at WalMart or Krogers. Pay $2 per person (one time) for the ride there and back. The shuttle takes you as far as you can go by vehicle. It drops you off...and picks you up at the same place. There are many vendors on both side of the road before you even get to the bridge itself. Yes, Porta Pottys too! I usually take a quick look at the vendors before the bridge, then I might buy something on my way back. That way I don't have to carry it with me. Cant say how long it takes to walk the bridge. Depends on you. It can be pretty crowded where the vendors are, then thins out at the start of the bridge. Then...in the middle of the bridge where the jumpers are...it is packed! Can barely move. But do try to get in the middle and see the jumpers as they jump..or are launched from the catapult. Crazy! I've never bothered to walk to the north side...it might not be quite as crowded and I don't think there are many vendors on that side either. When you are on the bridge, everyone is at the side, looking over, so when you see an opening grab it, watch for a bit, then keep moving closer...grabbing a spot as it becomes open to watch the parachuters. The event is from 9 to 3...so get there early. I try to get there by 10:30 which is a good time. I love going! I just love the atmosphere there! Have a great time! Bring your camera...but no dogs or backpacks. (although I have seen them, so...whatever) I bring a water bottle in my bag too.

Oh...reserve a room now if you haven't already. They book fast...its a huge weekend around here!

N.C.
2. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

Thanks, Beachlady! Great info. Catapult?? Crazy! I just booked a room -- in Beaver, but everything closer was full or too pricey for me.

How long does the shuttle ride take? Is there a shuttle that's specified for just the high school, or do the shuttles go to all the pickup spots? (The former would make more sense, but I wanted to be sure.)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
3. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

Yes, last year was the first time for the catapult. The Sleep Inn is the only hotel I can think of in Beaver. That's fine. Just get back on the Interstate and head north from there.

The high school shuttle takes maybe...15 minutes to get to the bridge. I do think there are signs on each bus/shuttle so you know which one to get on when you are ready to head back.. But the driver tells you where the line will be. (usually the same place he drops you off) There is a different shuttle for the high school....and the WalMart and Kroger..since they are in different locations.

You will pass the Kroger and WalMart on the way to the high school. Don't stop! Keep on to the HS. It isn't as crowded, plus it's closer to the bridge.

Edited: 10:11 am, October 15, 2013
N.C.
4. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

Thank you again! You've been extremely helpful. Yep, I booked the Sleep Inn. Not much left in the way of choice in the area!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
5. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

sourismom, if you do Facebook, there is a pretty good page...Bridge Day West Virginia.

It has good pictures and info.

See you there! I am dragging my hubby along this year. (he hasn't been in about 15 years...I've only missed maybe a total of 10 out of 34 years. ) Weather looks decent...partly cloudy and around 62F.

6. Re: Getting to New River Gorge Bridge Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 18, 2014