We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic spots to stop off main interstate?

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 145
scenic spots to stop off main interstate?

I will be travel from Raleigh to Cincinnati in November.

Since I am travel through states of West Virginia and Virginia

Could you offer any suggestions of any good spots to stop - scenic areas in mountains etc.

A park or a scenic town that is more less off main interstate.

Recommendations please- I will be driving. thanks

2 replies to this topic
charleston, wv
reviews: 3
1. Re: scenic spots to stop off main interstate?

By November most if not all leaves will be gone. You'll miss all the Fall colors. Most tourism other than sking is shut down or in process of closing.

In VA you will pass an intersection with the Blue Ridge Parkway . Take a few hours or an extra day to travel along part of that.

Beckley you might check Exhibition Coal Mine in Beckley. Just off the interstate but might be closed for season by November.

20-30 minutes north of Beckley on RT 19 is Fayetteville. Mostly outdoor activities and might be a little dead in November after rafting close for season.. Might find some zip lines or horseback rides still operating..

If you run across I 64 out of Charleston. Might stop in Milton and tour Blenko Glass. They should be open year round.

If you have sense of humor. Short hop off I 64 in Barboursville.. The best Hillbilly Hot Dog location is over on RT 2. Maybe ten miles off interstate. Would be a photo op your friends back home would never believe.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 32
2. Re: scenic spots to stop off main interstate?

Yes, the Coal Mine will be closed in November. Still...a walk thru the park there is nice...New River City Park. You could still stop by the visitors center at the New River Gorge in Fayetteville. (about 30 miles out of the way...but worth it) When you pass thru Huntington, you could get off at the 5th Street exit. That puts you right in Ritter Park, a very nice, lovely park! (really, the exit is IN the park) You could also visit the Huntington Museum of Art ..there are signs directing you to the top of the hill. Pretty cool! Have a great trip!

Reply to: scenic spots to stop off main interstate?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted