We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton National--Location/Metro Questions

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 2
Sheraton National--Location/Metro Questions

My husband and I are will be staying at the Sheraton National in Arlington. From what I read, this a nice hotel but not necassarily convenient. They do run a shuttle to the Metro station at the Pentagon Mall.

So a few questions:

1. Can we purchase a day or weekend pass for the Metro?

2. Is the location of this hotel a poor choice?

3. Should we drive to the metro and park or rely on the hotel shuttle?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
1. Re: Sheraton National--Location/Metro Questions

1. You can buy a day pass on the weekends for $6.50 which gives you unlimited rides for the day you purchase it.

3. By all means, use the hotel shuttle to get to the Pentagon City metro station. Metro station parking can be a real hassle on weekdays.

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 77
2. Re: Sheraton National--Location/Metro Questions

We stayed at the Sheraton National last fall. It is a nice hotel but in the absolute worst location. We were lucky because we did not need to use the metro (brief stay doing the college tour thing, so we drove around the city).

The hotel does have a shuttle van to the metro, we saw it, but didn't use it. Seems okay. You may want to ask about their schedule. Also, some ladies were waiting for a taxi, and they had been waiting over 45 minutes. The hotel front desk person was not very helpful towards them.

The neighborhood is not walkable. Spend as much time in D.C. as possible. But it's a nice place to unwind and relax in.

Virginia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Sheraton National--Location/Metro Questions

Sheraton National is a pretty choice for a hotel since you are right in Arlington. The only thing is that if you are planning on spending most of your time in downtown DC, it is not at all metro accessible. I have stayed at the hotel a few times (my sister works there for one) and their shuttle is not completely reliable. I would recommend taking the Metro bus across the street to Pentagon/pentagon city and take the Metro train to wherever you need to go afterwards, which is a 5 - 10 minute bus ride. You can probably get a schedule on Metro's website at http://www.wmata.com. This site will also give you the rates on the daily passes for the train. Last I check, it was $5/day but the fares are constantly going up. Also keep in mind that daily passes are only good after 9:30am. Forget about driving to the Metro since there is no parking/limited parking at Pentagon City and you'll end up paying a load of money for daily parking.

As far as the location, I would not recommend walking around in the neighborhood. Southern Arlington is not always the best place to be at night. If you want to stay in the area, there are some really good restaurants right on Columbia Pike. You can probably take a short cab ride to do that.

Enjoy your stay!!