We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 10
Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

Hello.......We are considering attending an event in the Concert Hall, the National Symphony Orchestra with Sir James Galway, one evening during the first week in October. Can anyway tell me what is expected for dress code?

Thank You

Las Vegas
1. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

I hope one of the Insiders will answer your question, because I'm also planning on attending an event at the Kennedy Center (12 Angry Men), and I'm wondering what the dress code is (probably more casual than your Symphony recital).

If no one replies, I'm sure you can contact someone at the KC, and they will be able to tell you.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
2. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

My impression is that the Kennedy Center is much like Broadway when it comes to dress code--anything goes. If you are going to dinner before or after the show then dress for dinner (casual, business casual, dressy casual, etc.--whatever the restaurant requires).

Maryland
reviews: 5
3. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

Business attire or dressy casual will help you blend in with the crowd, but people show up in a wide variety of attire, including very casual clothes.

Maryland
reviews: 8
4. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

For a symphony in the evening we always dress at least in business attire or after 5 wear. That would be for ladies, a nice dress or skirt and blouse w/ a nice pair of pumps (that's what I would do) for the gentleman (You have it easy. Just your regular dress shirt and pants (no tie needed only if you wanted to). I wouldn't wear jeans or tennis shoes to a symphony. Also the Kennedy Center can be very cold sometimes so ladies bring a throw or a shawl and gentlemen just bring your suit jacket .

Hope this helps.

Manassas, VA
Destination Expert
for Manassas
reviews: 197
5. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

As a frequent visitor to the KC and a member, I have to agree that you see it all at every performance.

In general, though, for 12 Angry Men (which I will also be attending) anything but jeans. I have tickets for a Sat evening performance and will wear black dress slacks and a white top). Some of the matinee performances can be a little more casual. Dress jeans (but no tennis shoes) or Dockers will be fine.

For the Symphony and Opera, especially on a Saturday evening, people tend to dress up a little more, especially the members paying big bucks for the seats down front. Most men will have jackets on. You'll see formal gowns and furs and jeans and sneakers. At Tosca last year, on Saturday evening, there was a whole group of people in jeans sitting next to a group of people in sequined gowns. I wish they let you take pictures in there ;o)

I enjoy the KC and enjoy getting dressed up. I always go on Saturday nights. It's always a good opportunity to wear my Christmas party gowns and cocktail dresses again.

No matter what you wear, you won't be out of place. If you're unsure, go with business casual work clothes and you can't miss.

If you're in the balcony seats, wear comfortable shoes if you are going to take the steps up and down. They have elevators, but there is sometimes a wait and it's faster to do the stairs.

I have been know to go shoeless on the stairs ;o)

Ohio
reviews: 10
6. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! I truly appreciate it.....

Las Vegas
7. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

VaBelle--When do you plan to see 12 Angry Men--are you looking for someone to accompany you?

virginia
8. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

I am also going to the Kennedy Center to see Handel's Messiah but it is on a Sunday and in the afternoon. I'm not sure what to wear . I don't want to over dress but I don't want to under dress. If any one has any advise please write back. Thanks

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
9. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

germanpole--The advice given above applies to the "Messiah" performance, also.

10. Re: Kennedy Center - What to Wear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 10, 2009