We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 hours in Washington

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
9 hours in Washington

Hi all,

On October 2nd I'm planning on coming to Washington for the day (I'm on NYC for 4 days) I'm completely still obsessed with the West Wing and I absolutely love American politics.

Main thing I want to see is the White House, capital building and the national cathedral.

My trains gets in at 10 am and leaves at 7 pm.... can any offer any help with a day plan?? I was looking at a bus tour.... but really not sure if I would have time to do that and spend quality time at my keen attractions.

Thanks in advance :)

10 replies to this topic
washington dc
reviews: 1
1. Re: 9 hours in Washington

No bus tour - total waste of time. All the main sites are cluster together along or near the mall. Union Station is 5 min. walk from the Capitol. Just start there - walk & walk & walk - then take a taxi back at the end of the day. Plenty of online maps will show you where everything is.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: 9 hours in Washington

I wouldn't recommend walking to the National Cathedral from Union Station...

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
3. Re: 9 hours in Washington

Yes, most of what you'd want to see is clustered around the National Mall--U.S. Capitol, White House, monuments and memorials, Smithsonian museums, etc. so you can walk to them. The best way to get to the National Cathedral will be by taxi.

Bristol, United...
4. Re: 9 hours in Washington

Oh that's great if everything is close to each other... Def pick up the tip on a taxi as well :)

Read up today that I can apply for a tour around the white house?! I thought they didn't do those anymore??

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
5. Re: 9 hours in Washington

They have started tours of the White House again, but it is nearly impossible for a non-US citizen to get one. Don't bother.

Falls Church...
6. Re: 9 hours in Washington

In nine hours you should be able to see those sights. Note that since the 2011 earthquake the national cathedral is pretty insistent that you pay a "donation" to walk in and explore the interior. Take time to go up the tower as well to see some great views.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
reviews: 51
7. Re: 9 hours in Washington

When we went to DC last we worked out our WH tour through our congressman's office. Congressional offices fall all over themselves to help with stuff like that because it's an easy way to do something for constituents. I'm not sure what folks from Britain might do, unless you have friends in the US who can help. The tour itself is pretty short, but the Secret Service guys are really nice (I'm sure that can change quickly) and there's just something sureal about walking out the front door of the White House at the end of the tour.

Beyond the White House, you probably have time for one or two museums if you want to do more than a quick walk-through. I think most folks start with the Air and Space museum. I also like the National Gallery and maybe the National Archives.

Edited: 9:10 pm, August 11, 2014
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
reviews: 51
8. Re: 9 hours in Washington

P.S. I just saw a note that you should contact your embasy in DC to see if they can get you on a tour.

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
9. Re: 9 hours in Washington

The British Embassy will not do anything to secure a White House tour for their citizens. They have more important work to do.

Bristol, United...
10. Re: 9 hours in Washington

So had an email so say a tour wasn't possible the day I'm in Washington :( oh well still very excited and managed to book the mega bus for $9 return :) also now extended to 12 hours :) very very excited

Reply to: 9 hours in Washington
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted