We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 4
Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

I'm paying back for the invaluable information gleaned on this site allowing us to have a fab time!! Thanks to all who contribute!

Flew into BWI for $100 per ticket less than flying into Regan or Dulles. A free shuttle bus, caught just outside Baggage Claim, took us a mile to the rail station where we boarded a MARC train to Union Station. We bought the $6 one-way train tickets in advance online and they were delivered via Regular US Mail to our home in 5 days. The ~40 minute train ride to DC was nice and easy.

We purchased SmarTrip cards in advance online and they arrived via the mail in 4 days. So with card in hand, we boarded the red line at Union Station for a 10 minute trip to our hotel, the Marriot Wardman. A beautiful place to stay and being located immediately adjacent to the Woodley Park metro station made travel SO easy. Connecticut Ave was out our window and a good range of food choices was available close to the hotel.

We had signed up online for Monuments by Moonlight Tour for our first evening in town. A telephone call confirmed arrangements to be picked up for the tour just around the corner from our hotel at no additional cost. The 3 hour tour was definitely worth the time and the money, we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. At the end of the tour, the trolley dropped us right where it picked us up at. Very convenient. Some of the monuments weren’t lighted well enough to see well at night so leave some time to return during daylight hours.

The next morning we took a free 1 hour guided tour of the Capitol that we signed up for online. Again, more than worth the time it took. We moseyed our way up Independence Ave to the Air & Space Museum. I wasn’t too hip on visiting but am so glad we took the time to see. Very interesting and so worthwhile! We continued walking on Independence Ave to 14th St and spent 3 hours at the Holocaust Museum. Unimaginable. Just go. We spent the evening in Georgetown, having gotten there by bus. The area was nuts, a sea of people. We had dinner at Clyde’s, shopped just a bit and at my daughter’s request, waited in line for 30 minutes for a Georgetown Cupcake. It was ok but…..

On Day 3 we visited the Museums of Natural History and American History. Both are fantastic. Don’t miss either. You could spend 2 weeks at each place but unfortunately, I didn’t have that kind of time and could only afford each a few hours. We glossed over the things that weren’t of particular interest and studied more closely those that were. I didn’t feel cheated when I left.

On Day 4 we went to Mt Vernon, George Washington’s home. Easy to get there via the yellow line metro to the Huntington Station and the Fairfax Connector 101 bus for the last 7 miles to the estate. You can use your SmarTrip card for this bus too. It’s an easy trip to navigate and definitely worth your time.

On our last day we visited Ford’s Theatre and Petersen House. Very impressive. Seeing it lets you try to wrap your head around that evening some 150 years ago. We walked by Lafayette Park and the White House and listened for a minute to those protesting whatever their cause. We meandered around the Ellipse and to the WW II Veteran, Korean Veteran, Lincoln and Viet Nam Veteran Memorials to see by daylight. I have no words for the emotion evoked, I cried throughout. Then to Foggy Bottom for a late lunch and a rest. Onward Ho! We took the blue line to Arlington Cemetery and paid the $8 pp for the guided bus tour, our dogs were barking!! What an awesome sight to behold, row upon row of headstones marking the resting places of so many who gave their lives for our country. Thank you, Soldiers and Sailors, I am forever indebted to you and your families. Our trip’s final act was to observe the Changing of the Guard Ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Impressive. A must see.

Some observations: Two female travelers, mom and daughter, never felt threatened. The areas we visited were free of litter and graffiti, including the metro stations. Surprisingly clean. The people, in general, were friendly and helpful. Using the metro and buses is easy easy and getting around is a piece of cake. All the National Museums are free. Absolutely free. Eating out is more costly than it is in NW Ohio, being about 30-40% more in DC. Drivers generally obey the ‘stop for pedestrian in crosswalk’ law but still be careful, I saw plenty enough rogue drivers. Yep, saw some street people too but not any more per capita than my hometown of about 150,000.

Some tips: Wear only comfortable shoes, forget looking good. You’ll be doing a lot of walking and blisters are miserable. Just miserable. A trip ruin-er. My daughter can attest to it with proof. Yep, she with those 8 blisters from her pretty shoes. A lesson she’ll only need to learn once, I’m certain. And that’s the end of the tips cuz none other matter if you can’t walk! Thanks for reading, I hope it’s helpful to some.

texas
reviews: 24
1. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Great report. Enjoyed it. Sounds like you did quite a bit for the time there.

Edited: 12:18 am, October 03, 2013
Washington DC...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

What a wonderful trip report! Thank you so much for taking the time to help those coming to DC in the future. Just love your viewpoint on things.

reviews: 740
3. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Monuments by Moonlight sounds like a really fun tour! Thanks for the great information about your time in Washington DC. :)

reviews: 35
4. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Great report! We are going in December. Did you have contact a state representative for the tour of the Capitol?

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
5. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

You do not have to contact a member of Congress to get a tour of the US Capitol. But if you do contact your Representative or Senator you may get a better, more personalized tour. Anyone, once the government reopens, can go to the Visitor Center at the Capitol and get a guided tour.

Ohio
reviews: 4
6. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

The tour of the Capitol that we took didn't include the Houses. If we wanted to visit those areas, our tour guide instructed us to go across the street to our Senator's (this was the recommended first choice) or Representative's office for same-day passes to observe the action on the House floors. You can secure the same passes in advance, from home, by contacting the offices of your Senator or Representative.

portland or
reviews: 62
7. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Really helpful report, thank you!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
8. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

I enjoyed reading your TR. Thanks for sharing!

Peterborough...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Hi, I am thinking of visiting Washington DC. Is it easy to get around? I was thinking of flying in with my family and staying in D C without a car or renting one?

Peterborough...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Just Back! Had a Wonderful Visit!

Hi, I am thinking of visiting Washington DC. Is it easy to get around? I was thinking of flying in with my family and staying in D C without a car or renting one?