We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog friendly city?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
reviews: 22
Dog friendly city?

We are planning on taking our dog with us to DC b/c of dogsitting issues. Anyway, we're staying at Hotel Madera which is pet friendly. If we wanted to take our dog with us sightseeing, since we'll be mostly walking, will she be allowed in most tourist attractions that are outside, i.e. monuments and the Mall? Will public transportation allow dogs? If not, we're planning on having her enjoy the comforts of the hotel.

Maryland
reviews: 5
1. Re: Dog friendly city?

Public transportation only allows service dogs, so unless you cheat and outfit her with one of those service dog vests (and, not, I'm not recommending that!), the dog will need to hang out in the hotel whenever you plan to use the bus or Metrorail.

little falls, mn
reviews: 11
2. Re: Dog friendly city?

There is a book out that lists parks, restaurants, and attractions that dogs are allowed at. There is also a website that may list these as well. The website is DogFriendly.com. They have a book "US and Canada Dog Travel Guide". Since we are also visiting with dog in tow, I have found this interesting. I'll list some of the restaurants and maybe somone can let us know if these are good places. Dogs are allowed at outdoor seating. Although the way the weather's looking, I don't know if it will work for us since we'll be there next week. Here goes:

Alamo Grill - Georgetown

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream - 19th St. SW

Furin's of Georgetown

Paper Moon - 31st St. NW

Park Place Gourmet - I St. NW

Riverside Grill- K St. NW

Wrap Works - Connecticut Ave NW

Book's copyright is 2004 so thing may change some. Good luck.

Alexandria, VA
3. Re: Dog friendly city?

This book has a lot of listings for restaurants and outdoor seating, like the ones storm gave you:

Dog-Friendly Washington, D.C. and the Mid-Atlantic States: by Trisha Blanchet

The other poster is right, you can't take dogs on the Metro. But do cabs allow them? I have a dog, but I've never tried taking her in a cab. Or maybe there's some car service that will--I'd call the hotel and ask if they know that. Good luck!

Maryland
reviews: 5
4. Re: Dog friendly city?

Information not verified, but: from

www.metropets.org/YellowPages/transport.php

DC: Yellow Cab

tel: (202) 544-1212

The company allows its drivers to carry non-service animals though it is up to the individual driver to decide whether to accept the call or not.. Cats must be in carriers and dogs must be leashed.

Red Top Cab

Arlington, VA

tel: (703) 522-3333

You can take a cat in a carrier if you tell them when you call for a cab.

5. Re: Dog friendly city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 14, 2009