We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
united states
Hotel Advice/Family of 4

We are looking for a nice hotel with restaurants nearby, metro nearby, and safe. Pool would be okay - but not necessary. Any suggestions? Of course, hotel needs to be near major sights.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
1. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Without knowing your budget requirements, I would recommend looking into staying at an Embassy Suites. There are 3 locations in DC--all have pools and all offer a free full breakfast for their guests. Also, there is one in the Crystal City area of Arlington, VA that is 2 and a half blocks from the Metro station.

united states
2. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

We want a nice 4 star hotel, convenient to the metro with restaurants nearby -

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
3. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

OK---here is a list of 4-diamond properties in DC:

The Fairmont Washington DC-- 2401 M St., NW

Hotel Monaco Washington DC--700 F St., NW

The Jefferson--1200 16th St., NW (although recent reviews of this place haven't been the best)

Mandarin Oriental Washington DC--1330 Maryland Ave., SW

Renaissance Mayflower Hotel--1127 Connecticut Ave., NW

The St. Regis--923 16th St., NW (recent reviews haven't been that great)

Sofitel Lafayette Square Washington DC--806 15th St., NW

The Hay Adams--16th and H Sts., NW

The Willard Intercontinental--1401 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

The only 2 that have pools are the Mandarin Oriental (heated indoor) and the Fairmont (lap). Of these 2, the Fairmont is, IMO, in the better location--a short walk to Georgetown where there is lots of shopping and dining, plus a short walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

I suggest that you read the reviews of all these hotels that are posted here under "hotels". It will help you come to an informed decision.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 24
4. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

The Mandarin Oriental is a lovely (and usually extremely expensive) hotel, but there's not much to do around there at night so I wouldn't recommend it unless you get a great deal.

Assuming you have two kids, although you don't say what ages, Dupont Circle and Chinatown/Penn Quarter have good family friendly nightlife and restaurants. Penn Quarter is walking distance to the museums/monuments so I'd put Hotel Monaco at the top of the list.

As SueFee said, best to read the reviews to find out what's the best match for you, but my next choices would probably Sofitel or Hay-Adams.

Hotel Palomar could be an option, depending on when you're coming. It's not open yet. Enjoy your trip!

united states
5. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Sorry = my kids are 5 & 8. I'm now a little worried about coming in late July - is the town dead?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
6. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Not dead - just hot and humid. Some locals go away for the weekends and it does empty out a bit when Congress is out of session, but that's a better time to come. You don't have long lines!

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
7. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Given that you'll have the kids with you and the time of year you'll be here, I'd recommend that you make a pool more of priority; it will be so very refreshing :-)

Both the Omni Shoreham (which has been advertising some great deals) & Marriott Wardman Park have pools, and although they are not in the thick of things, they are practically on top of the Woodley Park Metro stop, a number of restaurants AND the National Zoo. There are also several other Marriott properties in town (e.g., tne Courtyards at the Convention Center & in Dupont Circle) and Holiday Inns with pools in addition to the Embassy Suites SueFee has already mentioned.

Families with young chldren is not the market the Monaco is targeting, and the room set-up reflects that: all the rooms have just 1 king or queen sized bed in them; you'd have to book a 1 bedroom suite to get 2 beds --- and one of those would be a sofabed -- or a 2 bedroom suite to ensure that each child would his/her own bed (I'm fairly certain the Monaco does not make rollaway beds available). Nor is the dining room menu kid-friendly -- unless your two have already developed sophisticated, and expensive, tastes :-)

And if the Fairmont or Mandarin Oriental is calling out to you, please give them a call before you book to inquire as to their pool policies; if's not unusual for hotels with lap pools in a spa setting to tightly restrict the use of the pool by kids.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
8. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Cocklecove has good points - knowing the age of your kids now, the Hotel Monaco is probably not the best choice, although the neighborhood would still be fun for dinner. Depending on what you like, Clyde's, Austin Grill or Ella's Wood Fired Pizza might fit the bill. There's also a bowling alley next to the Verizon Center if you're looking for a break from the tourist activities.

Have fun!

united states
9. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

thanks for the tips - what about the l'enfant plaza or sofitel lafayette? Still recommended?

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
10. Re: Hotel Advice/Family of 4

Yikes, the Sofitel's management would be keeling over in dismay if they knew their establishment had been mentioned in the same breath as the L'Enfant Plaza! :-)

I feel confident that you all would be happier witn any number of establishments [even 2-3* ones] than with the L'Enfant whose glory days are past.