We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sights outside the city

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Framingham
reviews: 173
sights outside the city

Are there any sights in the DC area that have parking on site. we already plan to visit MT. Vernon.

not sure we want to see the air and space museum in Reston? but know they have parking. Will probably be too hot for the zoo and what if it rains?

indoor sights- with parking. any suggestions. in the DC or metropolitan area.

limited walking ability and availability of wheel chairs would be helpful.

thanks

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
1. Re: sights outside the city

The Marine Corps Museum is an hour or less south of DC and has plenty of free parking. It is a great museum, if the subject interests you. http://www.usmcmuseum.org/

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 92
2. Re: sights outside the city

If you have an interest in Civil War history, you can visit the Manassas Battlefield. There's parking close to the Visitor's Center and you can purchase the audio CD and do a driving tour of the battlefield after you have seen the exhibits and film in the museum. It's about a 45 minute - 1 hour drive west of D.C.

http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
3. Re: sights outside the city

Not sure why so concerned about parking as you should not be using your car after getting to DC except to go someplace not accessible by Metro. Wheelchairs will be available at all the main Smithsonian museums but can't promise everyplace. May have to call in advance or consider renting a chair for your visit if that is a necessity. If need car in DC and don't want to use Metro, taxi is likely cheaper alternative.

BTW, don't know how long you have lived in Framingham, but I am a Spartan.

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 20
4. Re: sights outside the city

The Lincoln Cottage on the grounds of the Old Soldiers Home is in Northwest DC and has plenty of parking. Lincoln spent the summers there. Tour is great and cost is reasonable. Google Lincoln Cottage for directions and more info. Very worthwhile and overlooked site.

Huntington Beach, CA
reviews: 1
5. Re: sights outside the city

Kkathy pri ~ I have been trying to figure out how to fit in the Lincoln House and have pretty much abandoned going. Is it really worth a visit? It's the one place I think I will be kicking myself over not going, but don't know how to go about getting there, unless I drive into the city, which I'm trying not to do.

jc

Alexandria, Virginia
6. Re: sights outside the city

Hi jc, I really loved the Lincoln Cottate and would recommend you make the effort. While it is a fairly uncomplicated drive through DC (I suggested it since you were looking for free parking) there are some public transportation options. If you go to the "plan a visit" link at the Cottage web site, you will see some suggestions for using public transport. It's apparently .8 mile from a Metro stop, but don't know whether you are walkers or not. Also a bus that stops out front. The tour is marvelous and the grounds are beautiful. If you decide to go, do get tickets ahead of time, since it is apparently becoming quite popular.

Good luck with your planning.

Huntington Beach, CA
reviews: 1
7. Re: sights outside the city

Thank you! I decided to go and put something else aside. I don't want to be running all over DC and exhaust myself, so I have to be selective. I decided that THIS would be the one thing I would kick myself over not visiting so I bought a ticket today! I do have a car and I scheduled it for when it's not rush hour traffic time so hopefully I will find it okay and not cause angst for commuters.

I'll also look into the public transportation. At least the decision has been made and I'm going :)

jc

Alexandria, Virginia
8. Re: sights outside the city

Very glad to have helped. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Olney, Maryland
reviews: 5
9. Re: sights outside the city

To get to the Lincoln Cottage, find North Capitol Street near Union Station, and go straight north on it for 3 miles, until it curves quickly to the left and then to the right right near a cemetery. Make a big left there onto Rock Creek Church Road, and the Cottage is on the right.

Aurora, Colorado
reviews: 49
10. Re: sights outside the city

How would I get to Lincoln cottage if I'm staying near Dulles and have no transportation? Thanks!