We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pledger, Texas
reviews: 6
Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

We are considering the following rental:

VRBO Listing #324000

Can anyone advise about the safety of the area and how close the Metro and a grocery really are?

Thanks!

Washington DC...
1. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Metro stations are marked on online maps such as Google maps so it is easy to find for yourself how far it is from the Metro.

But on this VRBO listing I don't see any information about an address so it is impossible to know exactly where this place. I wouldn't book anything until you can know the exact location in case the owner is exaggerating how convenient the location is.

Also the listing misspells "Cardozo" as "Cardoza." That's suspicious to me because anyone who lives in that area would know it's "Cardozo."

Edited: 12:11 pm, February 11, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 50
2. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

There are so many words spelled incorrectly in that description that frankly it raises my suspicions. It may just be an owner who isn't a native English speaker. But some scams are also done by people from outside the USA. So be careful...

I did get a chuckle out of the description of the "infamous'Ben's Chili Bowl'" lol.

Pledger, Texas
reviews: 6
3. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Can anyone comment on The Remington as a reasonable place to stay?

washington dc
reviews: 1
4. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

The map feature on this listing doesn't seem to load right now - so can't see exactly where it is, but the U St. area is very convenient. You can have some more or less attractive blocks. But the reviews are uniformly positive, the photos look authentic, and the price is right for a place in a more up and coming neighborhood. I can't see the deluge of bad spelling that so horrified others, nor do I quibble with famous or infamous regarding Ben's Chili bowl.

But the simplest thing to do is contact the owner and ask for more information - including an exact address. Ask questions!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 136
5. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

As you can see, VRBO does not vet their listings. So, be sure to do due diligence because people do get scammed sometimes.

Durant, Oklahoma
reviews: 39
6. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

I'm communicating right now with this owner (Lois) about staying here. . . The address is at the corner of FLorida Ave NW and W St NW. Doing the walk thing on google maps matches up to a newer looking apartment building. This is my first trip to DC and I've been doing research and have been able to find answers any q's by searching the forum but today this thread caught my attention because it's the same place we are looking at and I haven't been able to find anyone else discussing it.

I actually have a contract in my hands that I'm looking at signing tonight/tomorrow so any opinions on this apt are welcome!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 136
7. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Does the owner live on the property or is she renting out an apartment/condo? If it is the latter, and it is an apartment, she might not be allowed to sublet without landlord approval---or if it's a condo that she owns, the bylaws/covenants of the condo association might not allow vacation rentals. While chances are, if she is doing this in violation of a lease or bylaws/covenants, you most likely won't have any problems. However, there are no guarantees.

IMO, ideally the best vacation apartment rentals are the ones where the owner lives on site. For example, the owner would live upstairs while renting out their basement apartment. Since the owner owns the building s/he is allowed to rent out the lower level (all things being equal with concerns to zoning laws). Plus if you have any problems, s/he is on site and able to respond to any concerns you might have.

Edited: 11:45 pm, February 11, 2013
washington dc
8. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Florida & W St. NW puts you 4 short blocks to U St. Metro. Green/Yellow Line is one of the most convenient lines for tourists.

The neighborhood around there is a little more "urban" than many people are familiar with, but I wouldn't call it dangerous. You are close to Sherman & Georgia Aves. which are on the eastern, and still somewhat raggedy edge of all the new development in the U St. area.

If the building is secure, the owner is responsive and the price is right you will be fine.

Durant, Oklahoma
reviews: 39
9. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Thank you for all your advice, hope some of this was also helpful to you TexasLori.

I called the owner of the unit and spoke to her and feel confident she is not a scammer, she has 8 units in the DC area and all have great reviews. I am debating between two of her units, this one and one located at 13th St. NW and between Monroe and Otis. If you have knowledge of this area vs. U Street I would love to hear it!

I plan on booking with her for our stay next month. Will let you know how it goes. :)

Cheers!

washington dc
10. Re: Need advice on condo/apt rental Ustreet/Shaw Area

Oh - I've actually talked with that Lois about her Columbia Heights apts. 13th between Monroe & Otis is also about 4 blocks to Metro - same line. Similar density of lots of restaurants & shops in both areas.