We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 46
Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

We'll be in Washington DC during the inauguration.

We're staying around 3504 13th Street ST NW.

Am interested in seeing the parade but realise it's a very long, cold wait...which may be tricky with a 5 year old not used to the cold (we are currently in the middle of a heatwave...104 degrees F at the moment!).

Just wondering, apart from the parade, are there other ways to see some inauguration festivities?

However, if we did go to the parade, any ideas what would be a 'less busy' section and what time we would be needing to be there? I think there is an entrance to the parade around where we are staying, but to be honest, I have no real idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
1. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

"I think there is an entrance to the parade around where we are staying, but to be honest, I have no real idea."

Your location is about 2.5 miles from where the parade goes by, so I don't know how you would have an entrance to it all the way up there.

Really, there are no "less busy" sections. Much of the parade route is set up for paid admission bleachers and in the other standing areas people arrive hours before to lay claim to a spot.

I can't see standing out there for hours in freezing weather with a 5 year-old who probably won't be able to see much anyway.

Washington DC...
reviews: 41
2. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

One thing that might be fun, but nothing like actually seeing the parade, would be to come down to the area west of the White House, like 18th and Pennsylvania Avenue NW where the parade would be dispersing. You would not want to get there until late in the afternoon as the parade disperses. You should see some of the participants in their uniforms and costumes and get an idea of the crowds. Don't head that way until you see the President arrive at his box at the White House, which will probably be well after 3 PM. Until then, watch on TV. Much more comfortable and with better viewing. Closest Metro stations would be Farragut West and Farragut North.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
3. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

"Just wondering, apart from the parade, are there other ways to see some inauguration festivities?"

Definitely TV with a 5 year old.

Washington DC...
reviews: 230
4. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

Really. On TV. Thick crowds not suitable for a small child, long walks, plus colder weather than you are used to. If you are here that weekend, you might go see the Mall and West Front of the Capitol, where the ceremony takes place. Probably cannot get closer thsn the Botanic Garden but that is lovely. Next stop downhill is American Indian Museum.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 46
5. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

Okay...sounds like the parade (apart from tv) is not really going to be an option.

A pity given we are travelling such a long way to be in Washington DC for that day...but totally get the waiting and temperature issues.

Any suggestions on a great pub (hotel) or restaurant which will be playing the parade on tv...looking for a place with some great atmosphere!

And great idea about seeing the parade at the very end point (ie. dispersion point)...sounds worthwhile!

6. Re: Inauguration help...Australians with 5 year old!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 30, 2013