We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro question

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rossville, GA
Metro question

I'm taking my 2 kids to Washington June 17-24, and after paying for the plane tickets and hotel, I am on a very tight budget. I was looking at transportation options, and am wondering about the Metro. We're flying into Regan and staying at the Residence Inn Capitol. If I were to get a week's pass for the metro bus, would that get me from the airport to the hotel? Or is it just the Metro rail that goes to the airport? Would I be better off getting a Fast Pass? Would that allow us to ride the metro buses also, or do I need to buy seperate passes for each if we are going to ride both?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
1. Re: Metro question

Metrobus will take you most anywhere you want to go--but as Metrorail stations opened, most if not all of the redundant bus routes were eliminated. So, if you use the Metro website's trip planner with the bus-only option, you'll find that from the Residence Inn, you can get to Reagan National...changing buses four times over the course of 90 minutes. Possible, but not practical. So it's essentially a rail-only option.

Given the hotel's location--an easy walk to the Capitol and several of the Smithsonian museums in SW, you may find yourself riding Metrorail less than you might expect. In that case, you're probably better off paying by the ride.

You didn't state the ages of your children, but if it helps any, kids under 5 ride free.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 24
2. Re: Metro question

Rosita:

After you enter the metro station and head toward the train, you'll see bus transfer machines. (Usually near the top of the escalator, if there is one at the station.) You can get a free bus transfer before you get on the metro. Once you arrive at your metro stop, if you need to take a bus, you can do it for free with your transfer.

However, I looked up where you hotel is and if you take the metro Blue Line to Federal Center, it's only 3 blocks from your hotel. (The Yellow Line to L'Enfant Plaza is a shorter ride, but if you have luggage, you probably won't want to walk from there to your hotel and changing lines for one stop is more hassle than it's worth. You're better off just getting on the Blue Line. At least part of the ride is above ground, so you'll get a little preview of the city.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 13
3. Re: Metro question

There is a 35¢ charge on the bus for using the rail transfer. Cheap, but not free. Also, their use is specifically prohibited for stopovers; you may find that the transfer isn't accepted if it's more than an hour old, depending on the frequency of the bus route.

The Metro bus and rail system is hurting for money. Little things like the time a transfer was issued that used to be overlooked are drawing more attention in an effort to enhance revenue.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 24
4. Re: Metro question

Tubman - thanks for the info. It's been a while since I've used the bus, obviously!