We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro or bus help

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, Florida
reviews: 126
Metro or bus help

I apologize in advance for asking these questions but I find the wmat site difficult to navigate. Now, from the White House to Lincoln Memorial and from Jefferson Memorial to the St. Regis what would be possibilities for metro or bus (prefer metro). I see that there are no specific stations close to the memorials, but I want to cut some "walking time." Also, what would be the station to go from Reagan National to the St. Regis? Thanks

Washington DC...
reviews: 41
1. Re: Metro or bus help

The only way to cut the walking to and from the Lincoln Memorial or the Jefferson Memorial is to take a taxi. No Metro all that close and no regular bus routes nearby either.

Edited: 4:06 pm, December 05, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
2. Re: Metro or bus help

i am no expert on the metro but would suggest contacting the concierge desk at the hotel as I am positive that you will get the right answer. sometimes there are equidistant stations but one is more convenient, less transfers and they will have that info.

The smithsonian stop is probably your closest to the mall.

Washington DC...
3. Re: Metro or bus help

About a mile walk from the White House to the Lincoln, and a little over a half a mile from the Jefferson to the Smithsonian metro stop. So the walks aren't too far for most people in good health to handle, and there is tons of stuff to see on the way so it's not like they are chores to do.

Also, I agree that the WMATA website isn't the best. So just forget about using it and use Google Maps instead. I find Google Maps' public transportation and walking directions to be pretty reliable in general.

Edited: 4:26 pm, December 05, 2012
Washington DC...
4. Re: Metro or bus help

I didn't measure it out on a map, but if you walk more or less directly north from the Jefferson Memorial (going around the Tidal Basin, of course) you will get to the St. Regis more quickly than if you bother to walk the several blocks out of the way to catch the Metro.

Washington DC...
5. Re: Metro or bus help

Well, the walk from the Jefferson to the St. Regis would be a full mile longer than the walk from the Jefferson to the Smithsonian metro stop, so I would consider that a pretty major difference. However Darrell has a point that when you also add in waiting for and riding the metro, it might not be faster to go to Smithsonian.

What I would recommend is just take a cab back to your hotel. It's not a far distance so it wouldn't be much more expensive than public transit. If you're four or more people, in fact, a cab could be cheaper than paying for individual metro fares for each person.

Washington DC...
reviews: 44
6. Re: Metro or bus help

To get from DCA to the St. Regis, take the Blue Line toward Largo Town Center and exit at Farragut West. stationmasters.com/System_Map/…farragtw.html

washington dc
reviews: 1
7. Re: Metro or bus help

The nearest metro stations to the Lincoln Memorial are #1. Arlington Cemetary - .9 miles - a very beautiful & level walk across Memorial Bridge. #2. Foggy Bottom - .8 miles - an ugly walk along a narrow sidewalk by a busy street, uphill from LM.

Taxis are really not very expensive.

Wellington, Florida
reviews: 126
8. Re: Metro or bus help

I see that I will be using cabs just like we did in NYC... I am assuming that by now DC cabs are not doing zone fare anymore (like when we were there some years ago). Do they take credit cards like the ones in NYC or is it cash only? Thanks,

Washington DC...
9. Re: Metro or bus help

DC taxis have been switched to meters like in most other cities in the USA. But very few of them take credit cards, so far. There is a push for that, including a GPS thing and it has been deferred because of legal stuff or some such thing.

10. Re: Metro or bus help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, December 17, 2013