We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 1
Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

I plan to pick up the car after a few days touring DC at the airport and drive to Williamsburg. Which airport is easier/less traffic in June? This is our first time in DC.

Also, I am thinking to stay one night near the airport.

day 1 arrival (stay at Hilton Garden)

day 2 tour dc (stay at Hilton Garden)

day 3 tour dc and stay near airport

day 4 pick up car at airport to drive to Williamsburg

Thanks in advance!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
reviews: 31
1. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Stay all three nights at the Hilton then go get your car at DCA, either via Metro or taxi. There's no reason to incur the cost / hassle of switching hotels or heading out to IAD.

Washington DC...
reviews: 41
2. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

DCA (Reagan National Airport) is within sight of the Washington Monument and the Capitol. Switching hotels will save you maybe 10-15 minutes, at most. Not worth the bother. And you can also get your car in the city rather than going back to the airport, if you wish. There are several agencies in the city with cars.

Which Hilton Garden Inn are you staying at? One is much better than the other.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
3. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Is the a difference in rental costs for your dates (and any discount codes you'd use) between DCA and IAD? As noted, no need to stay near the airport, especially if it's DCA.

USA
4. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Thanks! I was thinking to save some money and stay at the airport on the last day. But it sounds like more hassles ...

I was able to get a very good deal on the "good" Hilton (the Garden Hilton DC Downtown) for the weekend but the price goes up $100 on Monday so that's why I was thinking to move to the airport ... It sounds like I need to bite the bullet for the sake of convenience and comfort ...

Another thought is on the last day, should I just drive outside of DC towards Williamsburg and stay out there?

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
5. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

"Should" based on what? You feel the drive would be too long, or your arrival in Williamsburg too late in the day, if you picked up the car at DCA that morning? Shouldn't take less than 3 hours, unless you hit heavy weekday afternoon traffic. If you want to break up that drive, there are lots of hotels and motels along I-95. You'll see signs at many places. But if you leave DC that Monday in the late afternoon or early evening, you could hit some very heavy rush hour traffic. If you really need to save money on that last night's hotel, you could try something through Hotwire or Priceline. We recently stayed at the Double Tree National Airport, in Crystal City, for $90 plus taxes and fees. Free shuttle to the airport.

USA
6. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Thanks!

I just found a room in Hampton Inn Alexandria, Old Town, for $118 ... this is great because I can also tour Mt Vernon the next day.

So my plan is to stay at Hilton for 2 nights (Sat/Sun), go to the airport to pick my car Monday and then stay at Hampton, which allows free parking!

Then after touring Vernon, we'll head down to Williamsburg ...

Any recommendation on whether or not we should stop in Richmond, VA?

texas
reviews: 24
7. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

Just my opinion, but my DD lives in Richmond and I flew to see her in April and rented a car at the airport. I love to drive,and have driven many places by myself, but Richmond was one of the worst cities to drive, even with my garmin. The tolls were confusing, because some are combined with other roads and exits. I would not drive there again, so from the driving standpoint I would just drive straight thru.

8. Re: Which Airport is easier for driving to Williamsburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 03, 2013