We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near the Amtrak station

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern NC
reviews: 32
Hotels near the Amtrak station

My husand and I would like to plan a trip to DC in April, 2013. We don't have specific dates yet and are flexible. We would like to take Amtrak into DC and find a hotel fairly close to the station. I think we would like to do one of the hop-on, hop-off tours, and definitely visit the Holocaust Museum. We know NOTHING about DC and need help planning. What dates would be best? What hotels aren't too far from the train station but are reasonable?

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
1. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

You should start reading this forum for lots of good information. You will see a topic at the upper right of this page under Top Questions that can help you too. Hotel prices vary greatly from day to day, so dates are important. Also keep in mind that the first part of April is Cherry Blossom Festival time when the hotel prices and the crowds are higher.

Since you will be coming from the south you might want to consider getting off the train in Alexandria Virginia. The Amtrak station is next to the King Street Metro station and there are several hotels close-by that are often cheaper than downtown DC hotels. It is only a 20 minute ride on Metro to many of the usual sights and Old Town Alexandria is a nice area to stay in.

Eastern NC
reviews: 32
2. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

Thank you, Darrell6t! This is exactly the kind of information I need!

Germantown
reviews: 33
3. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

Hi, I recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express Washington DC Northeast or Fairfield Inn & Suites Northeast. They are both within 2 miles of the Amtrak station and offer complimentary shuttle to & from Union Station/Metro. A bit away from downtown and not a lot directly around them so having a rental car works (slight fee for parking) or you have the option of using the complimentary shuttle. The metro is very inexpensive, safe and convenient way to get around DC. Pack very comfortable walking shoes! Do not stay during heavy tour & travel season like March-June unless it is over a weekend when the rates drop.

Edited: 10:46 am, October 15, 2012
Washington DC...
4. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

Sarah G is making a terrible suggestion. Those two hotels are in an area no tourist wants to stay in. The only attraction nearby is the National Arboretum. And there are no good places to eat in the area. Avoid any hotel in the NE quadrant of the city if possible.

Germantown
reviews: 33
5. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

I appreciate your response, I don't see it as a terrible suggestion. May not be the first choice for some but the hotel was clean, beautiful and we with complimentary breakfast and free shuttle service we had no issues getting around town and felt safe.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
6. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

"Hi, I recommend staying at the Holiday Inn Express Washington DC Northeast or Fairfield Inn & Suites Northeast. "

These are actually decent budget properties. Problem being they are in a really horrible location. I wouldn't recommend the area at all, and by extension wouldn't recommend these hotels unless everything else is booked up in town for some reason.

Washington DC...
7. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

If you do decide to stay in DC there are several hotels near Union Station. But there is no need to limit yourself to that area. Getting to many other hotels in the city is easy from there using either Metro, the Circulator bus or a taxi.

Washington, DC
8. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

The Phoenix Park hotel is within spitting distance of Union Station. Very charming property.

Harrisburg, PA
9. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

As others have said ... consider a hotel in Alexandria near the metro/Amtrak station as an out of the city (and cheaper) location. If you don't mind the higher price which comes with staying within the city limits, just about anywhere near a Metro stop will be a suitable alternative -- try the Penn Quarter area maybe as it's near several Metro stops and there are an abundance of hotels all easily reachable from the Union Station by Red Line Metro or Taxi.

I would not suggest messing with a rental car or hotel shuttles -- too much wasted time.

If you plan to travel outside the center of the city to an area not easily reachable by Metro, you can always rent a car for the day and return it in the evening.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 11
10. Re: Hotels near the Amtrak station

I stayed at the Crystal City Marriott - http://sn.im/crystal_city_marriott . The nice thing about this location is it is located directly above the Crystal City underground mall which has shops you can walk around and also has a Metro subway stop. This means if it's raining or nasty weather, you don't even have to go outside to catch the subway from your hotel room VERY CONVENIENT. You can reach this location from Union Station too, just by getting on the Metro after getting off your Amtrak train. There's a nice map here: wmata.com/rail/docs/colormap_lettersize.pdf . As you can see you can board the red line at Union Station & then transfer to the Yellow line to Crystal City and you are at your hotel. Also, don't forget to buy Marriott gift cards, if you do decide to stay at a marriott. You can get an added 10% funds added to the card for FREE if you use their current promotion: travelcouponsonline.com/marriott-gift-card/ . This effectively saves you about 10% off your room as the cards can be used like cash.

Edited: 11:43 pm, October 16, 2012