We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best night monument tour?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlantic City, NJ
reviews: 10
best night monument tour?

I posted earlier asking trolley or metro for my day sightseeing and was convinced of metro. But, I'm considering a night tour to see monuments in a different light- no pun intended. So my question is, which company is best?

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 99
1. Re: best night monument tour?

I doubt you will find anyone who has done more than one of the "Monuments by Moonlight" tours, so it's unlikely anyone can tell you which company is "best".

You might just do what I (and many others) do--walk the monuments at night on your own. There are basically 2 groups of memorials--those along the Mall (WWII, Vietnam, Korea and Lincoln) and those around the Tidal Basin (Jefferson, FDR and MLK Jr.) I last did these with my MIL (leisurely pace) in about 2 hours. It's certainly less expensive than the organized tours and you can spend as much time at each memorial that you like. If you have any questions about the memorials, there are U.S. Park Rangers at each site who can answer them.

texas
reviews: 99
2. Re: best night monument tour?

We did the Monuments By Moonlight tour with Old Town Trolley and my family loved it. My husband cannot walk for long periods of time and this was perfect for us.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
reviews: 15
3. Re: best night monument tour?

If you're doing this in summer, just keep in mind that it can be pretty light out pretty late, so whether you take the tour or do it yourself, do it as late as possible

Biloxi, Mississippi
reviews: 24
4. Re: best night monument tour?

We did the 7 pm National Mall tour & the 630 pm Twilight Monument tour, both with DC By Foot. Both were great - wish mother nature would have cooperated though. The monuments at night are amazing.

Boston
reviews: 15
5. Re: best night monument tour?

Monuments by Moonlight with Old Town Trolley - loved it! We had a great tour guide and nothing compares to seeing the sights lit up at night. A highlight of our trip.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 27
6. Re: best night monument tour?

Would it be ok to drive around the monuments at night? I don't like running on someone else's schedule...like to take lots of pictures. I'd want to go when it was fairly dark, so maybe around 9m. I have two kids 13 10 with me so curious if it would be safe.

Washington DC...
reviews: 41
7. Re: best night monument tour?

It will be safe and if you are talking about the summertime, busy with other tourists. Your only problem is likely to be finding any place to park that is close to things you want to visit.

Washington DC...
reviews: 59
8. Re: best night monument tour?

If you have a Smart phone..the Trip Advisor "City Guide" app has several self guided walking torus with GPS guidance and info about the diff places loaded into it...really well done. This is a different app then the regualr Trip Advisor app, again'City Guides"

TIP: After u load the main app u thne need to load details and photos of the select cities u r interested in. Do this before u go via a WiFi connection as there are lots of photos for DC one ;) have fun !

Corsicana, Texas
9. Re: best night monument tour?

My husband and I will be visiting DC for the 4th time ( love it). We will be staying at the Channel Inn and will depend on public transportation - we love to walk. We want to take a night tour, but worried about getting back to hotel late at night. How safe will it be walking around at night?

Also looking for a reputable tour company.

Wickliffe, Ohio
reviews: 3
10. Re: best night monument tour?

Hey Sarah,

I've been looking into a monuments at night tour and have pretty much decided on the one by viatour:

viator.com/tours/…d657-5046WAS_MON

Not cheap but very well reviewed. I want to get some great night photos of the monuments and it seems like an easy way to do it.

It's over around 10 at night so getting transportation (metro or cab) back to our hotel should be easy enough.

Good luck!