We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dear Cocklecove ????

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
austin texas
Dear Cocklecove ????

As long as you are on here I have a Postal Question. I seem to remember reading somewhere about a good place to eat at a Postal"place". I kow this is vague but do you have any insite? Maybe it was an old Postal building?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
1. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

Well, I'll give it a try---Perhaps it is the Old Post Office Pavillion ---http://www.oldpostofficedc.com/history.html

There is a food court there.

New York City, New...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

I bet SueFee nailed it for you! Let's just say the view from the Old Post Office's observation deck is far better than the fare in the food court ;-)

Cascade, Iowa
reviews: 9
3. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

Capital City Brewing is also in the same building as the postal museum right by Union Station.

austin texas
4. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

Is the Old Post Office Pavillion the same place as the Postal Museum?

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
reviews: 169
5. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

No, they are two different places. The Old Post Office Pavillion is on Penn. Ave. NW at 12th Street and the Postal Museum is next to Union Station, address is 2 Mass. Ave. NW.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 27
6. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

Or by Metro Station, the Postal Museum is adjacent to Union Station (in most big cities, the main post office is adjacent to the train station, reflecting the way the mail was carried back in the 30's and 40's). Lots of nice sitdown restaurants.

The Old Post Office Pavillion, in contrast, is at the Federal Triangle station, and their dining options are the equivalent of a shopping mall's food court. Despite that, the Pavillion has a clock tower that's the second highest occupiable space in the city (the Washington Monument is the first), with panoramic views of DC and beyond. The last time I was there, you needed timed tickets to take the elevator ride up to the top - before, you could just walk right into the cab, and walk down through the belfry!

Arlington, VA
reviews: 13
7. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

The Bell Tower at Post Office Pavillion is my favorite place in DC. Best views in the city. I have been there at 6 times in the past year and have yet to need timed tickets. Generally the wait is 5 minutes or less. However, no bets on wait time during Cherry Blossom season. This Washingtonian does everything she can to avoid the tourists areas during Cherry Blossom season. I am allergic to pollen and have no interest in sneezing while I try to navigate my car through the throngs of people and drivers not knowing where they are going.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 27
8. Re: Dear Cocklecove ????

I tried taking my guests there during the peak season, where access to the tower was probably limited due to capacity constraints.