We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pampa, Texas
reviews: 1
Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

I haven't posted since December, now our trip is just a little over two months away and I still need to book our rooms. We are coming on a Monday-Wednesday. We have reservations through our congressman to tour the Bureau of Engraving on Monday morning and the Capitol on Tuesday afternoon. We are on a waiting list for the White House and won't know until the end of April whether we were approved and for when (M-W).

What would you suggest we do on Monday afternoon and Tuesday Morning in relation to where the Bureau of Engraving is located and where the Capitol is located? We would like to see as much as possible in these three short days, but know we can't see it all.

Is it best to stay in DC or in one of the surrounding cities. WHAT AREAS DO WE NEED TO AVOID?!?!?! The ages of all six of us are two between 5-10, two around 40 and two around 60. We will have a rental car but figure it is best to leave it parked and take the "trains" as much as possible.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm still working on getting that invitation to meet the President for my BUSH-fan son (age 9). :)~ Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
1. Re: Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

I'm wondering why you will have a rental car. Are you flying into DC and only staying in DC or are the 3 days here only part of a larger vacation? If you are only going to be in DC, then a rental car is not necessary. As for what to do on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning--do museums interest you? If so, take a look at the Smithsonian's webpage--www.si.edu--it will help you decide which museums interest you and your family the most. Also, you could take a walk along the Mall and see the monuments and memorials.

As to where to stay. Staying in the District would be ideal. Look into Embassy Suites (there are 3 in DC). They are well-liked by families. Plus they give their guests a full free breakfast every day. Another place to stay--Arlington, VA, especially the Crystal City area. There is also an Embassy Suites there. Where to avoid? Well---there are areas that are not the best... One guideline---if you find a hotel that's incredibly cheap, that should raise a red flag--it's either in a bad area or it is a fleabag dump. My suggestion to you would be this: if a particular hotel interests you, post back with the name of it and posters will tell you if it is in a good area or not.

Pampa, Texas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

Thank you Sue . . . We are going to fly to Nashville (th-f), go to South Carolina (s-s) for our daughter's college graduation and stay a bit, drive to DC and park the car for three days (m-w), then drive a day to Buffalo (th) to see Niagra Falls(f)and fly back to Texas on Saturday. It will be a fast and furious trip, but we are up for it!

I have been looking at the Embassy Suites and also Residence Inn or Towne Place Suites (both by Marriott). With such a long trip, we will try to stay with one chain the whole time to earn some discounts. I haven't decided which chain yet. The nice thing about Residence and Towne Place is the full kitchen and two room suites.

Thanks again,

Sheila

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
3. Re: Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

You're welcome, Sheila

Washington DC...
reviews: 28
4. Re: Our trip to DC is 2.5 months away . . . any suggestions?

Don't miss the U.S. Botanic Garden up by the Capitol Building. Also the new American-Indian Museum is next door.