We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, FL
Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

I'll be in DC for a week starting 12/26 with my 10 yr. old son. I have Marriott points to use, and I'm vascillating between the Renaissance DC on 9th St. and the JW Marriott. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Also, any recent experience and suggestions about the major first time sights for a 10 yr. old would be great (i.e. what should we put 1st in the day because of lines, limited tickets, etc.)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
1. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Of those two I'd go with the JW Marriott first because of the slightly better location, close walking distance to the White House, Washington Monument, and some of the Smithsonian museums are within a couple of blocks.

Good food court across the street at the Reagan Center (I'm drawing a blank for some reason on the exact name of this place..)

This can be a fairly busy time of year for tourism as people tend to bring their out-of-town guests into the city to see the sites.

Air & Space Museum would have to be close to the top of the list for a 10 year old...

Philadelphia...
reviews: 113
2. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Both hotels are in good locations, although I agree with IrishFan that JW Marriott is slightly better location-wise, but I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both hotels also have indoor pools, which I find to be an invaluable source of entertainment after a long day of sightseeing.

Air and Space is a must, Spy Museum would be great, if you son wants something fun to do that is not museum-oriented, ESPN Zone is close to your hotel. The food is mediocre, but he would have a lot of fun.

My older child (age 7) likes the Museum of Natural History a lot as well.

The only thing you probably won't be able to see unless you've already written to your senator is the White House. You need major advance notice for that.

Hope that helps a little and good uck!

Suzanne

Little Rock...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

I think the JW Marriott is the best bet for you. It's very nice and the location is perfect. When I was a DC resident, I stayed there with my parents when they were visiting for a convention and I was very happy with it.

As far as sights, where do I start? I used to set up tourist itineraries for trips to Washington, so feel free to ask any questions. First of all, if you have not called either your Congressman or Senator, please do so immediately. They can be extremely helpful in setting up tours, especially a personal, staff-led tour of the Capitol, which is a must for any age. If you're able to secure a personal tour, this gets around having to stand in line for tickets for a docent-led tour and the tour groups are normally much smaller than the public tours. As much as I hate to say it, White House tours are about the most difficult tours to get now. You have to contact a Congressional office a few months in advance, and, even then, it tends to be difficult. However, it certainly couldn’t hurt to call and ask a Congressional office anyway. Also, tours of the Bureau of Engraving & Printing also require a few months advance notice. I highly recommend the Spy Museum (try reserving these tickets now at http://www.spymuseum.org/plan/plan_ticketing_ticketmaster.asp) and all Smithsonian Museums on the Mall...endless educational entertainment and they have IMAX theaters within, as well. The Washington Monument is open again for tours. All of the monuments themselves are fascinating, and, while you’re on the Mall, I would take advantage of the ice skating rink in the Sculpture Garden of the National Gallery of Art. It’s so much fun!

Hope this helps. You will have a wonderful time. Washington is my favorite city!

Little Rock...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

And don't forget the National Zoo, also a Smithsonian partner!

DC
reviews: 1
5. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Hiya Mike~

Just two things:

Since Christmas Day falls on a Sunday this year, most people will be getting the 26th off as a Federal Holiday. There may be quite a few things closed that day.

Also, if your son is into science and the like, there is the new Science Museum at the new American Academy of Science Building at 6th and E, NW. I haven't been yet, but it sounds cool. It is like the Spy Museum in that it is not a free museum like the Smithsonians.

Cheers,

Dev

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
6. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Hey Devlin - I checked that out before I posted yesterday...I think from a tourist standpoint there won't be much closed on the 26th. Smithsonian museums are open, as are monuments, the Spy Museum, etc.

Probably everything but the Post Office and the banks!

DC
reviews: 1
7. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Hiya Irishfan~

I should have known you'd have been thorough enough to investigate that. Cheers!

South Carolina
8. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Just wanted to say that I requested tickets to the White House yesterday for the week of Jan 16th and got an answer today that I have them. They just need SSNs and DOB. I think it depends on your rep and probably the timing of your visit, but if you want to visit, you should try!

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 30
9. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

Chevron, how does one request tickets to tour the White House/Capitol? We'll be in DC April 13 - 16 and I would love to show my girls (ages 8 and 7 (April 13th is her bday!)) the White House.

South Carolina
10. Re: Hotel for upcoming trip to DC

I went to my representative's website and on there was a form to fill out with my info and check which places I would like to visit. Then the next day I got a tour for the White House, and still waiting on the others. Good luck