We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
reviews: 16
Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

The route seems easy as well as cheap. Any advice or recomendations for this method of travel between the Pentagon and BWI? I read that getting from Pentagon to BWI you take the Yellow Line towards the Greenbelt station then take the bus from the Greenbelt to the BWI terminals. Seems easy...? Anything I should know or tips that I should be aware of?

Washington DC...
reviews: 41
1. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

Unless you get on one of the Yellow Line trains that becomes a Green Line train, you may need to change trains at some point. No need to change platforms, only change trains. Most (I think) Yellow Line trains turn around before getting to Greenbelt. But some trains switch from Yellow to Green somewhere along the way. And Green Line trains do go to Greenbelt.

That may be the cheapest way, but it is certainly not the quickest, And if you are dragging luggage, not the easiest.

Edited: 8:50 am, June 16, 2010
Detroit
2. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

Darrell,

As far as time it looked like I should allocate a little more than hour for this. Is that a decent approximation or should I give myself more time?

Washington DC...
3. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

I have not timed it out and have never done it, but two hours is more like the minimum. The bus from Greenbelt to BWI doesn't run very often. Have you looked at the schedule? And the Metro ride from Pentagon to Greenbelt is about 40 minute if all goes well.

Washington, DC
reviews: 1
4. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

Darrell is right that you should check the bus schedule from Greenbelt to BWI. I've taken the Metro from downtown switching to a Green line train to BWI once and as I recall, it took longer than if I had driven. The timing of the bus is key to know when ou need to get to the Greenbelt Metro station.

Detroit
5. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

As far as the schedule is concerned I used the metro websites trip planner. I would assume that's an accruate way to figure the times unless you guys have expereinced otherwise.

Washington DC...
6. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

The WMATA trip planner should be OK, but it cannot predict what sort of traffic conditions the bus may encounter. If it calculated a bit over an hour, I think it was being overly optimistic, but I have never tried that route. If you miss the best connection at Greenbelt, how long will you have to wait for the next bus? If you are traveling on the weekend, there could be track work that will slow down the Metro trains too.

7. Re: Arlington (Pentagon) to BWI via Metro... Any Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 17, 2010