We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kohala coast, hawaii
reviews: 31
SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Aloha SueFee & DCDC (and greetings to anyone else who would like to provide me with some help!).

I'm flying to Europe from Hawaii on UAL in 2 months - this will be a very long haul. the 2nd leg of the trip is a nonstop flight from San Francisco to Dulles, arriving around 9:30 pm. departing from Dulles early the next morning for Paris. we will be very tired, and we need a safe and nice hotel to stay overnight near Dulles Airport. we won't have time to sightsee. are there any 4 or 5 star hotels fairly near the airport that you could recommend? I did a search on this forum and couldn't find this information, maybe I overlooked it..??

if there isn't anything really nice near the airport, what would be the closest hotel that you'd recommend?

thanks - mahalo - please let me know if you need any help with trip planning in Hawaii.

Washington DC...
reviews: 113
1. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Aloha mauna kea lady!

There are a number of good hotels near the airport, none that are 4 or 5 stars I don't think. The closest to the airport is the Dulles Airport Marriott (marriott.com/property/propertypage/IADAP) that sits on property. I have never stayed there, but there isn't anything that will be more convenient.

I personally enjoyed staying at the Hyatt Dulles (http://dulles.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml) the last time I had a very early morning flight to San Francisco. They treated me well, and the shuttle service to the airport was very easy.

Here is also a list put together by the Metropolitian Washington Airport Authority of hotels in and around Dulles. Most have free shuttles to the airport (www.metwashairports.com/Dulles/hotels.htm), but I would still recommend either of the ones above for ease and convenience.

Enjoy your trip!

dctravel

Washington, D.C.
reviews: 58
2. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Aloha to you also!!

Yes your trip will be a whirlwind for a little while. Well these are a few hotels I hope they may help you.

Ritz Carlton- 14 miles from airport (703) 506-4300

Embassy Suites Dullus Airport Hotel- 2 miles (703) 464-0200

Hyatt Regency(Reston)- 6 miles (703) 709-1234

Residence Inn- 6 miles (there are a few in the area)

Hilton Washington Dulles Airport- about 1 mile (703) 478-2900

Hyatt Fair Lakes- 17 miles (703) 818-1234

I hope these help!!! Have a good and safe trip!!!

kohala coast, hawaii
3. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

mahalo dctravel & DCDC! your postings are full of great information. I'll check out these hotels immediately - glad I have some decent choices near Dulles.

thanks again for your help and good wishes.

aloha nui loa -

- MKL

Las Cruces, New...
reviews: 47
4. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Mauna Kea Lady -- if all you're doing is sleeping, I'd suggest you stay at the closest hotel (Marriott), because our morning traffic is notorious for messing up even the most well-thought out plans!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 135
5. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Even closer, there is the Hyatt Dulles (703) 709-0400. It is a 3-diamond property. It is right at the intersection of the Dulles Toll Road/Access road and Route 28. The Hyatt Regency Reston, as previously mentioned, is a 4-diamond property and a bit further away from the airport. Like the Hyatt Dulles, they offer a shuttle to the airport. Enjoy your stay, mauna kea lady!

kohala coast, hawaii
6. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

thanks! this is helpful! I've been reading about UAL at Dulles Airport and I'm not looking forward to this...I wonder if I have any Xanax handy...this is going to be intense after being in Hawaii. eek.

but I appreicate everyone's help and it's nice to have some friendly encouragement - mahalo.

come on over and visit in the TripAdvisor hawaii forum if you ever want a taste of the islands!

see you there.

- MKL

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
7. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Yes, mauna kea lady, United Airlines certainly has issues these days. Just be sure and give yourself plenty of time to get through security at Dulles. We waited in line at the security checkpoint for a half an hour about 2 weeks ago. However, it's tricky. Sometimes, if you hit it right, there is no wait at all. Hitting it right appears to be random. My guess is that probably your longest line will be at the United check-in area. Enjoy your trip to Paris!

Kentucky
8. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

It sounds like Dulles has long security lines at times.

Their website says:

Washington, D.C. (IAD)

- Peak Times: 5 a.m.-7 a.m., 3 p.m.-5 p.m.

- Peak line waits: 90 minutes

- Off-peak line waits: 60 minutes

I find it hard to believe that it would be a peak time on

Saturday from 3pm to 5pm. Has anyone travelled at this

day & time?

Do Independence have self ticketing kiosks, for etickets?

thanks

Liz

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
9. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

Are you a member of FlyI's club?--I forget its exact name. If so, you can print up your boarding passes within 24 hours of departure. However, you can only do one way. It's been a year since I flew Independence and then it was a new airline. They didn't have boarding pass machines then. I hope they do now since I'll be using FlyI in a few days! I'm surprised to hear that Dulles is saying that wait times to go through security during off-peak times are 60 minutes! Last month, we were there about 7 p.m. on a Thursday and only waited 30 minutes. However, it's possible that things have changed since then. Either way, I'd be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight leaves--maybe longer if you have to stand in line to check luggage.

Washington DC...
10. Re: SueFee & DCDC - I need advice!

happy6610,

I can imagine that IAD may be crowded between 3pm and 5pm on a Saturday, since a lot of international travelers leave on Saturday evenings and may be trying to get through security at that time. From what I hear, at IAD everyone goes through the same security lines (international and domestic), then they split off to different terminals afterwards. I'm flying out of IAD to Paris on a Saturday evening in about a month, and I'm planning to get there very early just to be safe. Of course, if I get there early, there probably won't be a line. : )