We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC with kids

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Washington DC with kids

We'll be visiting Washington DC with two children aged 4yrs and 6yrs in July en route back from Williamsburg and taking off at the Dulles airport. We'll only be there one full day. We've made reservations at the Quality Hotel COurthouse Plaza. Any reviews? We'll be driving in, and the hotel provides free parking and appears close to metro stations. Any suggestions as to what would be good for the kids to see/do? Any comments on the Old Town Trolley or the Tourmobile? Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Washington DC with kids

WoW!!! My brother is doing the same thing, He is visitiing williamsburg,Va end of June and meeting us in Washington D.C. in July 1st. We are there every July 1st-July 5th for the PBS "A CAPITOL FOURTH SHOW"

The trolley tour is the best jump-on/jump-off tour to take!!

& help with the childrens tired legs. The air & space museum

is the place to go and they have a adorable food court called "THE WRIGHT PLACE" with a up scale McDonald's restaurant. MY son had his favorite and his grandmother & I had cappicinno and Pananni sandwiches which were delicious.

My son was only 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 years old , he is 31/2 now and I asked him if he remembered the museum we went to and he said "yes" the place with the first plane---like the one he saw on the " Charlie brown/peanuts video "The Smithsonian and the presidency" so call your local library & see if you can borrow this video which will entertain your children and help them feel part of the planning of this vacation. I will give them an idea of where they are going.

D.C. Ducks Tours is good for children also!!!!!

Texas
reviews: 112
2. Re: Washington DC with kids

When I was little my parents had to drag me out of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History kicking and screaming. If your kids are into animals, including dinosaurs, they'll at least want to go in via the Mall entrance (there are some dinosaur statues outside on the Mall side) and they'll want to see the wooly mammoth just inside the door. This musuem has an insect zoo, as well as collections of butterflies, arachnids and other stuff kids might enjoy. Just don't tell them it's educational. :-)

Both the Air and Space Museum and the Museum of Natural History have IMAX films, as well. And I believe the food is cheaper at the Air and Space Musuem.

Vancouver
3. Re: Washington DC with kids

Thank you both so much for your very helpful comments/ideas.

Please let me know what you think of this itinerary:

DC DUck TOur as soon as we get in from our drive from WIlliamsburg, say around 11am (is it a 3-hr drive from Williamsburg to WDC?).

After the Duck Tour, we would like to visit the Air and Space Museum, and the Museum of Natural History. How much time do you think we'll need to spend at each of the museums? What's the best way to get there? By metro?

I would like us to at least get a view of the White House, the Lincoln Memorial...I suppose we'll get this on the DC Duck TOur?

I don't suppose we'll have time to do anything else, as we have an early flight to catch the next morning (8:20AM), a Saturday morning. We'll be driving from the QUality Hotel COurthouse Plaza to the DUlles Airport. Any idea what traffic will be like and how much time we should allot for the drive?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer further comments, suggestions, etc... It seems there is so much to see and do, but we only have a day!

Arlington, Virginia
reviews: 5
4. Re: Washington DC with kids

I haven't taken a Duck tour, but I'm sure any tour of Washington will include the White House and the major memorials. As for museums, they are huge and each can easily take a whole day to see. Natural History and Air and Space are both great musuems, but you should pick one and see if you have time for the other when you're done. The museums close at 5:30 so you might not. Most of the Smithsonian museums are on the Mall, Natural History is closer to the Smithsonian Metro and Air and Space is closer to L'Enfant Plaza. Don't even think of driving to the mall (DC is confusing to drive in, the drivers are rude and parking is a pain.) Metro is the way to go. And for going to Dulles, it should take about 40 minutes to get there. Make sure you get good directions so don't end up driving on the Dulles Toll Road instead of the Dulles Access road. Traffic on a Saturday morning is usually not bad, but I never drive without getting a traffic report from WTOP 1500 AM/107.7 FM which has traffic reports every 10 minutes 24/7. You just never know.