We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
reviews: 69
Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

One week to go and we are so excited to visit. I was hoping to get some input on my plans for our two day visit.

Day 1- Leave hotel near Dulles, drive to Mount Vernon

Drive to Arlington National Cemetary, Tourmobile tour

Check into Embassy Hotel on 10th

Bell Tower & dinner at pavilion before tour

Night Tour with DC Party Shuttle

Day 2- National Archives

Natural History Musuem

National Air & Space Museum

White House Visitor Center/ view White House for pictures

Walk along Mall to view cherry blossoms and scenary.

How does day 2 look from expert eyes, what would be the best order in which to visit. We will probably just catch something quick for lunch where ever we are hungry. Would love to visit Ford Theatre but not sure where we could fit it in.

I would love to get any input on this! All the forum input has been so great, thanks in advance!!

Carrie

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
reviews: 24
1. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Hi 1cutemom:

What days of the week will you be here? That probably won't affect my suggestions, but just wanted to make sure...

I think that looks fine. On day two, since the museums close at around 5:30 pm and the monuments/WH photos you can do anytime, I'd do the museums first for sure. Depending how long you wait in line to get into the Archives, you may be able to fit in Ford's Theater after that, but you'll just have to see how it goes.

Spokane, Washington
2. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

We will be visiting Wed 4/4-Thurs 4/5

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
3. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Okay, just wanted to be sure there wasn't a Sunday in there or something...

Spokane, Washington
4. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

mopsydog- I am glad to hear I am not out of wack on my itinerary. I know that the National Archives will be very busy while we are there. In your opinion, to meet with the shortest lines would it be best to do it first (9am) or in the early evening (6pm) since it is open later then the musuems.

I know we will have to plan another trip--there is so much we wont get to visit this time!

Gillingham, United...
reviews: 30
5. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

HI there,

Have you checked the opening times of the White House Visitor Center? When we were there it was around 4pm not sure if it changes depending on the time of day?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
6. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Lizzim:

Good call. I didn't notice that they wanted to go inside the WH Visitors Center. It does close at 4:00 pm.

Cutemom: Since that's the case, you may want to consider doing the White House Visitors Center first (since it opens at 7:30 am), then Natural History, then Air and Space, then maybe try to fit in Ford's Theater, then Archives, then cherry blossoms... phew! That will be alot, but I think you can do it.

Spokane, Washington
7. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Thank you for all the tips! I have been mapping everything out to get a feel for where things are. Most visitors say that walking from our hotel on 10th is easiest based on where the metros stops are located and close to the Mall. Do you think this is the case?

We dont mind walking around everywhere just want to make the most time wise.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
8. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

I think you'll do best walking. Maybe you could take the DC Circulator bus back to your hotel at the end of the day or maybe from Air and Space to the monuments, but definitely wear comfortable shoes!

Gillingham, United...
9. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Thanks Mopsydog, glad to have given some useful information.

Cutemom - just in case I didn't mention it before - when we took our night tour with DC party shuttles we managed to get the bus to stop at the White House on the way back (as we were staying nearby). If you get a really good guide (ours was steve) and you are making good time I would ask as we got some really nice photo's of the WH all lit up! As long as you are not behind they will probably stop and then take you back to the drop off point.

Gillingham, United...
10. Re: Itinerary for Two Day Visit? Suggestions?

Cutemom,

We felt the tour was about right in length, they move at a speed appropriate to the group - so if the group wants more time at 1 stop they will adjust as necessary - for example the night we went it was quite cold (being February) so we left the Capitol building quite quickly as it was windy - however the guide gave us extra info on the bus. We actually did the day tour as well later on in our trip (and got the same guide which was great) and I would say some of the memorials are better in day light - but I wouldn't single any one out specifically. I enjoyed both tours for different reasons - and it was a great part of our trip.