We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recs for single traveler

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 80
Restaurant recs for single traveler

I'm a woman in my 30s coming to Washington by myself for a 11 days for training. I'll be staying in the Dupont Circle area, mostly because I've stayed in this area before (last time was 1999, though). I love to eat out and won't mind doing so single, should I not find foodie companions in my training class. I'd love to get some recommendations for great restaurants where you can eat well and comfortably -at the bar or at a table. Range is no object- I love gourmet restaurants as much I do "dives"- the only thing that is important to me is that I eat well.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

On a recent trip to DC I ate at Bistrot Du Coin, 1738 Connecticut Av. It is a very nice French bistro. The Dupont Circle area is great for restaurants. Anna Maria's is a good, traditinal Italian restaurant onConnecticut. I also like Zorba's, just off Connecticut for a very casual dinner when I am eating alone.

Of course from Dupont Circle you can take a long walk or short bus ride to Georgetown where you will find many more dining opportunities.

Buffalo, Missouri
reviews: 88
2. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

Just returned from a 3 day jaunt to DC. One of the best restaurants I've EVER eaten in was Georgia Browns; the only other place I'd recommend we ate was Afterwords. Goergia Browns is a short hop on the Metro from DuPont Circle--- get off at McPherson Sq. 950 15th St. NW. Afterwords is on Dupont Circle behind and connected to a bookstore, I forget what the name was. I wish we had stayed longer, I'd sure like to try more from Georgia Brown's. Oh, ask to sit in Bob's section, he was a great server!

reviews: 80
3. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

Thanks for your suggestions! I can't wait to test them out!

Champaign, IL
reviews: 3
4. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

I would highly recommend you try CityZen in the new Mandarin Oriental hotel. The Chef is Eric Zeibold from the French Laundry in Napa Valley. My wife and I dined there last weekend and was thrilled with the food, service and atmosphere. A little pricey but well worth it. You won't be disapointed.

College Park, MD
reviews: 1
5. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

CF Folks (1225 19th St NW) -- my husband goes here for lunch 2 or 3x a week. Great food, cheap prices, only 3 or 4 tables inside.

Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe (1517 Connecticut Avenue, NW) -- you can't beat Afterwords Cafe for dining alone: everyone has a book! Food is pretty good, atmosphere great -- laid back, relaxed. Open very late.

Tabard Inn (1739 N St NW) -- this would be a nice place with one of your foodie co-conferees. Has a wonderful fireplace with comfy chairs and couches. Delicious food, moderately priced.

Trio Restaurant (1537 17th Street, NW) -- this is a relaxed neighborhood hangout that's been around forever. Italian and "bar food", very inexpensive. Also, just walking up 17th St from Dupont, you will see more restaurants than you can sake a stick at.

Huntington, WV
reviews: 1
6. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

I travel to DC often on my own and stay in the DuPont area when I can. Many great international restaurants in the area. I love Thaiphoon (2011 s street), the bistrot the previous poster recommeded was good. Also Tomate and City lights of China casual and Anna Marias all on on Connecticut, Johnny's Half Shell is good 2002 P street NW...Away from DuPont: I agree looove Georgia Brown's. In Chinatown Tony Cheng's for Mongolian BBQ (Chinatown metrostop 619 h Street NW near the arch) Also in that area Rosa Mexican, wow! Great food and good margaritas. Somewhat in that area I think the Chop House is a good place for a steak. ask. Have fun!

Washington, DC
reviews: 8
7. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

If you like Asian food, you may want to try Nooshi on 19th Street between L and M. They have good sushi and all kinds of noodle dishes - the phuket noodles are a favorite at my office. I see people dining here alone during lunch and dinner hours, sometimes at the sushi bar but also at the tables.

Washington DC...
reviews: 28
8. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

I've always felt comfortable dining alone at Reeves Bakery near Metro Center (.5 block from Hecht's). The main floor dining area has mini booths with partitions that give you privacy. Inexpensive and great home-cooked food and baked goods! Not sure how late they're open, so call ahead or search on google.

singapore
9. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

If you are staying in the Dupont area, then you must visit Teaism. It is a Tea cafe/restaurant. I ate their for lunch and dessert - great, healthy asian food. I hear their breakfast is good too and always packed.

http://www.teaism.com/

DC
10. Re: Restaurant recs for single traveler

For great food and atmosphere in the $$$$ range, try Olives at 16& K......Teatro Goldoni - great atmosphere at the bar - at 20th & L,.......or Finemondo at 13th & G......

Or in Penn Quarter, TenPehn -great asian fusion, or for a big splurge try La Paradou. Yum.

Can you tell I love our restaurants ????? I'm a local and have been to all these. Have fun....wish I had your expense account !