We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington/Oregon trip ideas

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington/Oregon trip ideas

Hello! My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip to the PNW. We are both retired, interested in the natural beauty of the area, the mountains, forests and the history of the area. We aren't interested in wine country or hiking (strolling would be fine)We are flying in and out of Seattle. I have a list of places we would like to see, but the list seems very long! We are also going to Oregon and hoping to visit Victoria, BC. Here's my list....Mt. Rainier, Mount St. Helens, Columbia River Gorge, down to Bend and Crater Lake, over to the Oregon coast up 101 to Astoria, stopping to see the sights along the way. Then to ONP and Victoria and back to spend a few days in seattle. Have we planned too much? I'll post in the Oregon forum as well, any ideas would be welcome! Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
reviews: 45
1. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

Thank you for providing specific ideas! Here is a sample Google Map route. Note the distances and time required between the major points. Add time/days in certain destinations. For example, Seattle, itself, at least 2 full days; Victoria, an overnight so you'll have at least a full day; Mt. Rainier, a full day, Portland, up to two days; Columbia R. Gorge, if based in Portland, at least a half day, etc.

Be aware that you'll be taking ferries and must account for driving to the ferry, waiting in line, etc. You'll want/need reservations on the Coupeville and Port Angeles. You'll need a reservation on the Anacortes ferry only if you take it through the San Juans to Sidney on Vancouver Island. Reservations to the San Juan Islands are not yet available.

Modify to suit your plans. http://tinyurl.com/nt5bxge

Edited: 8:07 pm, July 22, 2014
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 6
2. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

If you are not interested in hiking, skip Olympic National Park. It is a hiker's park. There are few scenic drives, and the park is distributed over a huge area, which means that visitors must spend hours driving outside the park though tedious scenery in order to reach the hiking trails. You would be far better off visiting the other locations you list. If you were hikers, I would be saying, "Drop everything else, and come to Olympic National Park!" but you aren't.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Newport, Depoe Bay
reviews: 42
3. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

I agree if you don't hike don't plan much time at ONP, but you can get good view of Olympics from Hurricane Ridge if you plan to go to PA and Victoria. Consider a day trip to Victoria and walk on ferry. Same for Friday Harbor. though that is more difficult

Mt St Helens is best seen from Johnston Ridge on 504 off I-5.

May say more on Oreg TA

4. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think we have completely rearranged our trip. Here's the latest plan.....out of Sea Tac to Astoria arriving evening. Planning on 1 full day there and maybe over to Cape Disappointment. Leave next day to Oregon Coast, planning at least 5 days to get to Cresent City. Redwoods 2 days, over to Crater lake, (taking 1day) to Bend, overnight, to Hood River (area) and Columbia River Gorge (3 days total) Mt. St. Helens, 1 day, to Mt. Rainier 1 day back to Seattle 3 days, giving us a few days extra. I think we have given up going to Victoria, BC. Have I overestimated travel and sightseeing times or given too much time to any one area? We are really interested in the history, museums, and the scenic areas and drives...we're not into hiking, but we do want to see as much as we can! Also ideas for staying in Seattle downtown, so we can walk or take the trolley to the main sites, Pikes Market, Space Needle, sculpture park etc..... thanks agains for your replies

Penticton, Canada
reviews: 5
5. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

hi

your latest itinerary looks much better.

a drive across the bridge to Cape Disappointment is a good idea, we went as far as Long Beach which was worth seeing and not that far. The maritime museum/lighthouse ship in Astoria was worth the entry fee. we stayed at the new Hampton Inn last fall which was a good location, there is a walkway in front of the hotel and a few noisy seals but with the windows closed it was OK.

Most of your trip will be in Oregon, you will get great advice on that forum.

Newtown, PA
reviews: 265
6. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

I would try to add a day in the Bend area. We enjoyed the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway and the Dee Wright Observatory at McKenzie pass in the Cascades. Great scenery. We spent 2 night in Bend and one full day for the Columbia River Gorge and that was fine for us.

Three years ago we spent a couple weeks in Oregon and Northern California (including Mt St Helen's). Last summer we spent two weeks in the rest of Washington State. If you check my picture albums, you will see most of the paces on your itinerary, including the entire Oregon coast.

https:/…

Edited: 11:45 pm, July 26, 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 14
7. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

"a drive across the bridge to Cape Disappointment is a good idea, we went as far as Long Beach which was worth seeing and not that far. "

Not trying to hijack the discussion, but we're going from Portland to Astoria in September, then heading south down the Oregon coast. Trying to decide if going a bit out of the way to Cape Disappointment is worth it, or just head south down the coast to see similar sights. If the view in Cape Disappointment is worth the detour, we would consider it. Thoughts?

8. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:06 am, July 27, 2014
Edited: 10:06 am, July 27, 2014

9. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:12 am, July 27, 2014
Edited: 10:12 am, July 27, 2014

10. Re: Washington/Oregon trip ideas

Removed on: 10:19 am, July 27, 2014
Edited: 10:19 am, July 27, 2014

Reply to: Washington/Oregon trip ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted