We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 3
Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Hello,

Family and I are planning a 6-day bike trip in Washington the first week of June. We'd ideally like to combine some vineyards with some great & remote natural beauty.

(In advance, forgive the long links...)

For the vineyards, we were looking at an out-and-back along these lines:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.6543192,-122.318961/Marymoor+Park,+6046+West+Lake+Sammamish+Pkwy+NE,+Redmond,+WA+98052/Bothell,+WA/47.6500127,-122.3043108/@47.7060881,-122.3540213,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m16!4m15!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x549072afbe8df5d1:0xa2a1bd8c83e691d!2m2!1d-122.114418!2d47.664516!1m5!1m1!1s0x54900e5a62e5fd6b:0x72449f1539850b0!2m2!1d-122.2054035!2d47.7623204!1m0!3e1

And then were hoping to arrange a shuttle to Leavenworth and ride up to Winthorp.

But we'd really like some insider advice as to whether this is the best plan of attack, other areas we might want to consider, how difficult the Cascades ride will be (we're all in pretty good shape, but are no Tour de France riders...).

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 46
1. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Google maps provides an option for "short URL". If you use that instead, the link will work when posted here.

Vancouver, Canada
2. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

I don't have any experience cycling in this area, but you might find the Seattle Randonneur route sheets helpful:

seattlerando.org/index.php…

These are the routes they use for rides and are popular for cycling.

Any cycle tour is doable if you take the time you need. If there are more hills, then you will ride a shorter day, that's all. Don't be ashamed of a 20 mile day. Its about enjoying the trip, right?

New York City, New...
3. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Thanks for the tip!

URL here: http://goo.gl/voQrbM

Vancouver, Canada
4. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

What about using Amtrak Empire Builder to get to Leavenworth?

Here's the bike info:

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
5. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

we have one of the biggest bike clubs in the country here in Seattle

cascade.org

at work there is a newspaper devoted to bike rides. You may wish to google some of the bike rides around Leavenworth. I'd think that would be challenging as not many places to stop and you'd be on the highway. I used to cycle more and there are some wonderful bike rides I did around Leavenworth thru the back roads and apple orchards. I'll pick up the newspaper tonite and post again. My thinking is if you saw a route you liked perhaps the organizer may be willing to share the route maps with you. There are a ton of books on bicycling the backroads of Washington which would make it easy.

Shuttle to leavenworth may be a challenge but the train would be one option but the schedule wouldn't be the best.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 24
6. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

So you are doing the Burke Gilman to the Sammamish River Trail to Marymoor Park. It's a nice ride, and shows you a side of the city/suburbs you might not otherwise see (but I'd suggesting starting a couple miles west, in Fremont. That way you don't miss Lake Union--I'd recommend the very quick detour into Gas Works Park for great city views). I'd also recommend a little break at Matthews Beach Park. If you need a lunch halfway (mmm more than halfway actually) through the Hollywood Tavern is great.

But you won't be going through vineyards. You can detour to visit the small vineyard at Chateau Ste Michelle, but most of the wineries in the area are in warehouses, storefronts, that sort of thing.

I would highly recommend NOT doing this on a weekend. The trail is crazy busy with kids, dogs, strollers, rollerbladers, you name it.

New York City, New...
7. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Maybe we're not hitting the right spots, then. We have 6 full riding days to see some of the best of the state, and were thinking the Cascades would be a good place to start. But maybe there are some other options. Would people be willing to share some ideas about great multiday itineraries? As I said, we'd love to include vineyards with great natural beauty. The only thing we'd like to skip is the San Juan Islands, which a few of my family members have (luckily) already seen.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 24
8. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

In general, WA wine country is around Walla Walla and the Yakima Valley, in eastern WA. I bet you can google to find some good bike routes. I'm not sure it's the best scenery around, but it can be pretty.

I just noticed you want to ride from Leavenworth to Winthrop but you also reference this as a ride through the Cascades, but it isn't. You've come out of the mountains at Leavenworth, and haven't climbed back up into them at Winthrop. You'll be going mostly through orchards and other agricultural areas. The most scenic parts of the Cascade Loop would be the North Cascades Hwy and the Stevens Pass Hwy, but these are tough climbs (2 mountain passes on the NC Hwy). Here's a page about that:

nps.gov/noca/…sr20-cycling-details.htm

Any chance you'd be interested in loops and out and backs? There are good road biking routes and loops in the Methow Valley (Mazama/Winthrop/Twisp) and around Leavenworth that would be very scenic. This blog may be helpful. But it's not the touring trip you are asking about.

…wordpress.com/2013/…

That's a really nice site in general and if you did want to just to loops or out and backs, it's a great resource.

Edited: 6:31 pm, April 23, 2014
seattle
reviews: 2
9. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

You asked about other options, so I'll put the Olympic Discovery Trail on your radar, a 113.2 mile ride through the northern section of the Olympic Peninsula from Port Townsend to the Pacific coast west of Forks. Details at this site:

www.olympicdiscoverytrail.com/index.html

The area is not noted as wine country, although there a few wineries that are side-trips from the trail from Port Townsend to Port Angeles.

www.olympicpeninsulawineries.org/map.php

You would need to research logistics, especially lodging along the way and a return. The section along Lake Crescent, also known as the Spruce Railroad Trail in Olympic National Park, is better with a mountain bike, rather than a road bike, until it's upgraded.

New York City, New...
10. Re: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)

Thanks Cicimo! Olympic Peninsula looks nice; we came across this route below, but it seems to have a fair amount of highway riding...

http://goo.gl/VAh1j1

And Christy, we're definitely fine with loops and outs-and-backs. The Leavenworth-Wenatchee-Chelan area seems to have some good roads for riding, but I just want to make sure we're covering the best ground, seeing some beautiful sights, and not totally missing out on the Northern Cascades, which seems to be pretty beautiful.

The biggest issue we see with the Northern Cascades is that between Marblemount and Mazama, there are only camping options given the time of year we're going (first week of June). We won't be carrying tents, and as such need a bed and roof...

Reply to: Cycling Trip in WA (6 Days)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted