We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Olympic National Park and San Juan Island

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Forked River, New...
Itinerary for Olympic National Park and San Juan Island

We are in our early 60's and love to do day hikes, kayak, and enjoy tidal pools, nature & photography. After following the forum on and off for 3 years we are finally doing our Trip to Olympic National Park and San Juan Islands!

After much research, we've put together the following itinerary and would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions: 

7/9 - arrive Seatac 10:19am - pick up Hertz rental car at Seattle Airport Marriott (much lower rate thanks!) Spend afternoon in Seattle, (logistics with car?) then take Mukilteo Ferry to Whidbey Island, Stay at Boatyard Inn, Langley. Any suggestions on what we could do in the city for 3-4 hrs. Would like to avoid evening rush hour. Or should we do something on Whidbey or enroute?

7/10 - drive north through Deception Pass, (any other stops?) take 2pm or 3:05pm Anacortes Ferry (with car) to San Juan Island. Stay 3 nights at Lakedale Resort. Visit American Camp, English Camp, sunset at Lime Kiln Point. Also kayak, (suggestions on who to use, please). If time, take ferry to Lopez Island for the day. Any suggestions on what else we could do? We've done whale watching trips in Alaska, Hawaii and Maine so not looking to do, although would love to see them from shore.

7/13 - take 9:45am ferry (with car) to Sidney, BC (will bring our passports). Drive to Victoria. Tour Butchart Gardens (should we do that enroute or tour Parliament Building and drive back to gardens for evening?) visit Parliament Building. Or maybe next morning? Anything else we should not miss? Stay at Inn at Laurel Point.

7/14 - take 10:30am CoHo ferry (with car) to Port Angeles. Visit Dungeness Spit (low tide at 11:21am, thanks again!) and if weather clear, drive to Hurricane Ridge. Stay Lake Crescent Lodge 2 nights.

7/15 - drive to Second Beach and Rialto Beach (low tide 9:29am) then back to Sol Doc Falls and Merrymare Falls. If time, kayak Lake Crescent.

7/16 - walk Merrymare Falls or kayak lake if not done yet. Drive to Hoh Rain Forest enroute to Lake Quinault Lodge.

7/17 - drive to Ruby Beach, lunch at Kalaloch if not done prior day. Drive around Lake Quinault, more walks by lake.

7/18 - If missed anything enroute, backtrack and do on way back to Seattle via Bainbridge Ferry. Suggestions, please if we did what we planned, should we backtrack or should we drive south to Cape Disappointment and then north to Seattle? (Not sure how much time that would be, although we have no trouble with one long day of driving). Overnight at Seattle Airport Marriott after dropping off rental car.

7/19 - spend day touring Seattle. Pikes Market, Space Needle (lunch?) 3hr van tour? If I understand, we can take lite rail to downtown area then monorail to pikes market? Allow time to take lite rail back to area near Marriott (we'll see if Marriott can store our luggage for the day) and then hotel shuttle to airport. Get to airport 2hrs ahead. Does that sound feasible? Fly back at 1015pm on red eye to PHL. Feedback greatly appreciated.

12 replies to this topic
Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
reviews: 7
11. Re: Itinerary for Olympic National Park and San Juan Island

When I read your first post I zeroed in on the SJI part and skimmed the rest so I didn't notice till I came back here again when the thread kept popping up that you are going to drive the length of Whidbey and staying at a place we recently stayed at ourselves right before Christmas (Boatyard Inn in Langley).

We stayed there two nights and did find it a nice location, plus it's in Langley which is our favorite of the Whidbey island towns. As you like hiking you said, I certainly recommend a stop over at the nearby Double Bluff Park and go for a nice beach walk (but only at lower tides can you walk very far, so do try and go then). You can find more info on that at visitwhidbey.com/camp-grounds/Double-Bluff-B… and reviews of it here on tripadvisor at tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g58481-d23… If you'd rather have some history with your hiking you could stop on your trip the length of Whidbey at Fort Ebey State Park. You can find lots of information on that park at www.parks.wa.gov/parks/…

Insofar as restaurants here on San Juan...If you want a view with your meal in Friday Harbor then look to places like The Bluff or The Place (also some tables at Cask & Schooner or Bluewater have water views.) You'll can also find extensive reviews of all of the restaurants on the island at tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g1441879-San_Jua… but do know that when I last checked there a few days ago there were numerous inaccuracies with this list such as 4 of them have been permanently closed for some time and another 6 or more are really in the city of San Juan Puerto Rico and some are double listed with very different rankings. I put in a request under all the ones with errors for corrections but those have not been made, at least at this time.

Forked River, New...
12. Re: Itinerary for Olympic National Park and San Juan Island

Drifting_clouds, good to hear Langley is good town to stay in. Looking forward to sitting on the deck at the Boatyard Inn watching the sun go down over the water. Do you know of any grocery stores or farm markets along our route from Seattle to Mukilteo ferry to Langley that we could get some provisions for the next 3 days. (Water, fruit, cheeses, crackers, wine, etc). After 5+ hrs on the plane we will definitely be looking for a nice walk/hike on Whidbey Island to get moving again, thanks! We'll look over restaurant ideas for San Jaun Isand, too!

Reply to: Itinerary for Olympic National Park and San Juan Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted