We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on itinerary requested

Muncie, IN
Feedback on itinerary requested

Any feedback would be appreciated--we have never been to Washington before, so it is a little overwhelming trying to figure it all out!

Day 1--Arrive at SeaTac late morning or early afternoon. Visit Space Needle and attend evening Mariners game. Overnight downtown Seattle.

Day 2--Drive to North Cascades National Park. Overnight in cabin west of park.

Day 3--Explore North Cascades N.P. Overnight in same cabin.

Day 4--Drive and ferry to Friday Harbor. Overnight in Bed & Breakfast

Day 5--Whale watching, hiking, etc. Overnight in same Bed & Breakfast

Day 6--Drive & ferry to Port Angeles. Go to Hurricane Ridge if time allows. Overnight Port Angles.

Day 7--Explore ONP. Overnight around Forks.

Day 8--Explore ONP. Overnight Lake Quinault.

Day 9--Drive to Mt. Rainier N.P. Overnight in cabin west of park

Day 10--Explore Mt Rainier. Overnight in same cabin.

Day 11--Drive to SeaTac for late afternoon flight home.

I know I don't have a lot of detail for each day, but does this sound doable without being too rushed? We will mainly be hiking. This will probably be our only trip to Washington, and I would really like to see all 3 National Parks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
1. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

we have a few Destination Experts for ONP so I'll let them answer however I've been to North Cascades and not sure about your logistics. There are few to no towns so using one location as a 'base' may not work too well. You'd basiclly have to drive all the way to Winthrop to turn back and stay at the 'cabin' on the west side. It just seems like a lot of driving with less time to sightsee.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 5
2. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

When is this trip? I might be able to help with the ONP portion of your itinerary, but could you tell us what hikes interest you in ONP?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
reviews: 4
3. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

Yes when is this trip? It is certainly doable. You are doing a lot of driving, but I understand wanting to take in as much as possible. I would like to see you add on another night for Olympic. If you are hiking in three areas of the Park, you are limiting how much you can see,

Since you said the Westside of NCNP I am assuming you are not talking about Winthrop and have a cabin selected. I do find it the most difficult Park to visit and stay.

Some people visit the San Juan's mostly for the reason of whale watching. If that is the case there are other options. Do not get me wrong the Islands are fantastic whales or no whales.

Hopefully you have seen my recommendations for places to stay around Forks and Quinault. If not what are you comfortable with spending per night?

Muncie, IN
4. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

Our trip will be August 9-19. No, we are not staying in Winthrop. I found a cabin in Rockport (Grace Haven) that I thought sounded good and doesn't seem too far from the park. If I add another night in Olympic NP, where should we spend the extra night? The San Juan Islands just seem so different from the National Parks that I thought it would be nice to spend some time there. Would 1 night there be enough or should I keep 2 nights? (I could use the extra day in Olympic or possibly add a day to our trip). I reserved Huckleberry Cabins in Forks and in Quinault the Rain Forest Resort. Driving doesn't bother us too much. Last summer we were in Alaska and had 3 days with drives of 5-6 hours each, so anything less than that will be great!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
5. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

My advise would be to add another night. I agree that the San Juan's is a very different and special experience. Tough to suggest where to spend the extra night. It really depends on your choice of hikes. I have been recommending Huckelberry for a while now. Staying an extra night there would mean you would have more time to experience both the Hoh Rainforest and the Ocean Beaches. Probably the best place for another night. Not sure of your budget, but Rainforest Resort would not be my first choice, although I have only stayed in their motel unit. Good location though.

Muncie, IN
6. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

Thanks for the advice! I will look into adding a day at Huckleberry. Does the rest of the trip look OK? As far as the Rainforest Resort, we are also staying in a motel unit (2nd floor lake view with a living room).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
7. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

When you say Motel, do you mean what they now call the Village Inn? If budget is a concern, go for it. It is across the road and a little ways from the Lake. Close to some nice nature trails, but pretty basic. If you are willing to spend more, there are nicer places.

Muncie, IN
8. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

Yes, it is the Village Inn. I was trying to keep the costs of lodging down, which is the main reason I picked the Rainforest Resort. As long as it is clean, we don't mind basic since we are basically only in the room long enough to sleep and shower.

Port Townsend...
reviews: 34
9. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

Getting from Friday Harbor to Port Angeles requires two ferries. The second ferry, "Coupeville - Port Townsend" takes reservations. (We always get reservations since they will set aside up to 80% of the ferry for those with reservations.) Takes about 1 hour to get from Anacortes (where the Friday harbor ferry terminates) to the Coupeville ferry. They say for reservations, they want you at the dock 30 minutes ahead of time. So look at the ferry timetables closely.

It's a little over 1 hour from Port Townsend to Port Angeles.

Muncie, IN
10. Re: Feedback on itinerary requested

I appreciate the advice on the ferry reservation! I will make sure I have one--how far in advance should I reserve the ferry? So to get from Friday Harbor to Port Angles will be close to 4 hours--am I figuring right?

Reply to: Feedback on itinerary requested
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted