We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on WA/SEA part of a 2wk road trip to LA

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 28
Thoughts on WA/SEA part of a 2wk road trip to LA

My husband & i will be driving from Seattle to LA this summer and have 2 weeks to do it. We will be landing in Seattle on the 4th of July (yes, i know, smack in the middle of the height of the tourist season). I have been to Seattle several times for work but this will be the first time for my husband. We will be staying downtown so he can see the fish market, space needle and on the 4th at night check out the fireworks. On the 5th of July we will be picking up our rental car and are looking for recommendations for a day trip/things to do in and around Seattle for that day. We will return to Seattle that night.

As a side note, my husband and i are both food people and would love to check out fantastic seafood or anything that shows what Washington state has to offer. I am not sure if July is great for oysters, but we would love to stop by any place that has fresh seafood (even if it's a shack) to experience it.

On the 6th, we are planning on leaving Seattle early in the AM to begin our southward journey. I was thinking that we should visit Mt. St Helens for the day and overnight somewhere before continuing south into Portland OR and that leg of our trip, which will include wine country and then coastal driving and time on the Rogue River.

My questions are:

1. What do you suggest for a day trip on the 5th of July? I realize it's over the holiday weekend and that may make things a bit more complicated in terms of traffic, etc...

2. Do you think that an overnight at Mt. St Helens will be a good amount of time to check out the sights (we are both physically fit and can hike)? Or should we check out Mt.Ranier instead?

3. DO you have any recommendations for places to stay near Mt. St Helens?

4. Are there any spots in Seattle that are better than others to check out the fireworks? We will not have a car and would need to get around via mass transit (we are from NY so are fine with this option)?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

11 replies to this topic
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 83
11. Re: Thoughts on WA/SEA part of a 2wk road trip to LA

the best place to see the fireworks are up high on a hill not from Lk Union. You may want to contact

argosy cruises to see if they will be having a fireworks cruise. That would be the best way to avoid lots of crowds. Alternatively going up to Capitol Hill close to I-5 is always where I've viewed the fireworks from and its never hard to get a spot to stand.

Reply to: Thoughts on WA/SEA part of a 2wk road trip to LA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted