We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 48
Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Hi

We are a family from the UK, we are spending a month going from Seattle to San Diego. In Washington we want to see the Olympic National Park , Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens before reaching Portland and then heading down to the Oregan coast.....the geography and roads look so complicated ....what route would you take to see these three sights ??? thank you

13 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
1. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Spend a couple of days explorig Seattle...you will see ideas on the right side of this page. Then to Olympic National Park for a minimum of three days (go to www.kaleberg.com for extensive details). Mount Rainier would be next, followed by Mt. Saint Helens on the way to Portland. Go to Google Earth and put Olympic National Park in the search box for an overview of this very large park.

You will find the ferry schedule and routes for travel between Seattle and ONP here: www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries

As you can see, there are several alternatives, and the route you choose will depend on where you stay while in Seattle and how much you enjoy freeway traffic. From downtown Seattle, the Bainbridge Island route is best IMHO; Edmonds-Kingston requires a freeway drive north to Edmonds.

Lots of help available on this forum...ask away.

UK
2. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Thank you very much for a swift reply...much appreciated. I couple more questions if you don't mind

1. Is it possible to see Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens in a long day ????

2. From Portland we intend to take a day trip along the columbia river gorge....is it possible to get to mount hood ???

3 From Portland we intend to travel to the coast for a couple of days. All the guide books talk about Cannon Beach ...where would you recommend staying ( it does not need to be near the beach) as a base for exploring the coast

thank you

Robert Stone

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
reviews: 4
3. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Trying to visit Rainier and St. Helens in one day is a big mistake. Rainier deserves as much time as possible. Visiting the Gorge and Hood in one day is possible, but again you are short changing both if you do so. Cannon Beach is a cute town and in a beautiful location, but it gets very crowded due to its proximity to Portland. I prefer the Central Oregon Coast. I love Ocean Crest near Yachats. Great price for being right on the Ocean. Yachats is very small, but I really like the area.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
reviews: 6
4. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Post on the Oregon Forum. The DEs are very knowledgeable about the Oregon Coast towns.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
5. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

While it looks at first sight that Olympic is on the way to Portland, it really isn't. It takes a long time to get there, and to see the park really requires a multi-day stay. While it is a wonderful place to visit, if you are on a timeline to head south, you'd be better off having a bit longer to visit both Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens (which you cannot realistically visit in a single day).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
6. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Did you say when this trip is? With a month you have plenty of time to include Olympic National Park on this visit! If you are visiting in Summer, do not miss it. You need to start booking soon.

UK
7. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Hi...by way of background we are spending a month travelling from Seattle to San Diego. For the Oregan part of the trip we we travel from Seattle to the Olympic National Park for a couple of days then drive across to Mount Rainer , spending the night in that area before travelling to Portland via Mt S Helens to explore the Columbia River before heading to the Coast for three days. Afterwards we travel South to Washington State. I see that you are a destination expert for the Olympic National Park ....great ! By way of some more background we are in our 60's and fine for short/medium walks but the days of hard treks are long gone. Your advice about how to spend 2 or 3 days in the Park would be most appreciated ...and also where to base ourselves ...thank you

UK
8. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

Hi...by way of background we are spending a month travelling from Seattle to San Diego. For the Oregan part of the trip we we travel from Seattle to the Olympic National Park for a couple of days then drive across to Mount Rainer , spending the night in that area before travelling to Portland via Mt S Helens to explore the Columbia River before heading to the Coast for three days. Afterwards we travel South to Washington State. I see that you are a destination expert for the Olympic National Park ....great ! By way of some more background we are in our 60's and fine for short/medium walks but the days of hard treks are long gone. Your advice about how to spend 2 or 3 days in the Park would be most appreciated ...and also where to base ourselves ...thank you

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
9. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

I got your private message and will drop you a note.

Indianapolis...
10. Re: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !

My husband and I will be visiting Mt. Ranier in mid September, then plan to drive to Olympic National Park to the Kalaloch Lodge for several days. Any ideas on how to get to Olympic NP from Paradise in Mt, Ranier?

Reply to: Olympic Park , Mt Rainer, Mt St Helens - best order to see !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted