We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, where to go Christmas!

Which Washington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ballinskelligs...
reviews: 5
Help, where to go Christmas!

We are getting a little desperate as to what to do for Christmas. Currently in Portland Oregon but dont want to stay here over Christmas. We have two small children and would love to go to the snow but not too far away. Cant get any reasonably priced accom in Leavenworth and not knowing the States cant decide where to go. I really dont want to wake up Christmas morn in a hotel room. Any advice appreciated.

Seattle, Wa
reviews: 30
1. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

Can you clarify a bit? You say you don't want to be in a hotel--are you looking for a cabin only? How far are you wiling to drive?

One issue I can see is that anywhere snowy and nice is going to have booked up long ago, and it's probably also expensive. An awful lot of people want a snowy Christmas in the mountains, and are willing to pay for it.

I assume you've already explored the area around Mt Hood, since that's close to Portland? I don't know the area well but you might also post on the Oregon board and ask for tips. I have a hard time imagining there is much availability at this late date, though.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
2. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

I am with Christy...don't really understand what you are looking for?!? If you are looking for a snow / ski resort...it will be crazy expensive at Christmas and likely everything within a few hundred miles of you will have been booked for months.

Here is an alternative suggestion. No snow, but I think a cool way to spend Christmas...on the stormy Oregon Coast.

Look at the Chelan...

http://www.oregoncoast.com/greyfox/

David

Ballinskelligs...
3. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

Thanks for replies

, i think we have found a cabin after spending hours looking on the net, hopefully will work out. we live near the stormy Atlantic so wanted something a bit different, we never get snow at home and thought it would be a novelty for the kids, will let you know how it works out. :)

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
reviews: 40
4. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

Okay what about Spokane or Coeur d'Alene lots of snow and fun things to do for the kids, yes it's a ways from Portland but still... worth it.

Collie

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
reviews: 84
5. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

you could easily go to Bend or Sisters oregon, closer to you. You might also want to take the train up to Vancouver. You can buy a direct ticket to Whistler. There is a bus from the Vanc train station and there are tons of accomodations at Whistler. If you go to their website there is a last minute deal section.

Ballinskelligs...
6. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

thanks I'll get on to it straight away!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
7. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

Whistler is a VERY expensive proposition at Christmas...It is the busiest and most expensive time of the season there. And very tough to find something there at this late date.

Bend is a good idea and would be a cheaper destination.

western WA
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Family Travel
reviews: 14
8. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

How about SunRiver resort in Oregon? It is a fun place, there's lots to do, and is right near Mt. Bachelor.

You can rent individual houses. I'm sure many book up with repeat guests, but it is a very large resort so there's probably still something.

If you go, don't drive through Gresham to Mt. Hood and down. Go to Silverton (Stop to see Silver Falls State Park), then over Santiam Pass to Sisters (cute stop) then on into Bend and south.

Ballinskelligs...
9. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

Hi everyone thanks for all suggestions. we have managed to book a cabin near Leavenworth which is exactly what we wanted. we will definately be looking into some of your travel ideas though before we leave.

10. Re: Help, where to go Christmas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, December 18, 2013