We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas in Herndon

kansas city
Xmas in Herndon

Any ideas for dinning Christmas Eve and Christmas, don't want to max my credit limit but do want something above casual.

Any holiday cheer that must be included in this visit?

4 replies to this topic
Ashburn, Virginia
reviews: 57
1. Re: Xmas in Herndon

Herndon itself isn't all that special. Are you willing to travel a half an hour, maybe to DC, or out to Leesburg, where there are some terrific restaurants?

Washington DC...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Xmas in Herndon

Here's something for you to check out:

www.opentable.com/washington-dc-restaurants

You'll see a section in the middle titled "Your Local Dining Scene"--click the left/right arrows until you see the images for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day menus. That will show you a pretty good list of who's offering what in the area. Once you click Christmas Eve or Day, you can filter your choices by selecting Virginia - DC Suburbs.

I would note that there is a restaurant called Russia House right in Herndon. I haven't been there myself but there is a review on TripAdvisor specifically about their Christmas Eve dinner--you should read it first.

My personal favorite is the Melting Pot. There is one in Reston. Yes, it's a chain, but a fondue meal and all its accompaniments for me isn't something for every day--we like it for special occasions. The Melting Pot is offering a Christmas Eve special menu.

Washington DC...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Xmas in Herndon

Hello again--sorry, I forgot the 2nd part of your question. Will you have a car and are you willing to drive?

A really nice "Christmas Cheer" type activity is visiting Mount Vernon (George Washington's home). It is beautifully decorated for the holidays. This is about 45 minutes from Herndon. The activity schedule includes things appealing to adults and children as well.

mountvernon.org/calendar/view/2013-12-24/4546

Also, one activity we enjoy that can be done anywhere is just driving around various neighborhoods to see how people have decorated their homes with lights and such. There are some really nicely done displays and there are some that are, um, not so much. Either way, we find it entertaining.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 102
4. Re: Xmas in Herndon

Not in Herndon, but you might want to check out Clyde's Willow Creek Farm, which will give you that upscale, Christmasy feeling without breaking the bank.

http://www.clydes.com/willow

If you have a car, and want to explore, you might visit Oatlands...(not a restaurant, but will get you in the Christmas spirit)

www.oatlands.org/Events/Christmas-2013/171/

Leesburg is very pretty at Christmas time and has several good restaurants.

Reply to: Xmas in Herndon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted