We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

Which Virginia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 21
Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

Hi All,

Kind of a tough question to compose.

we are going on an extended medical trip and our most anxious time will be the 2-3 days we have the week before Christmas to travel from Boston to Asheville, NC.

I'm worried about the weather, terrain, timing and such.

I somewhat know the area, drove through in 2004 and love it but can't remember the terrain.

Our plan is to leave Boston one morning, and get to somewhere around Lancaster, PA to spend the night.

Then the next day drive South and I'm thinking of these places for that night.......

Luray

Charlottsville

Lynchburg

Abingdon

Then continue to our destination in NC the final day.

Any input on those cities??

We also like to avoid major cities such as DC and Philly which is why I'm thinking cities more inland towards the West.

So what would you do???

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
1. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

So sorry about the medical issues. Hope we can help and hope all goes okay.

You'll probably kind of juggle a bit and then fine tune.

A few tips.

Charlottesville and Lynchburg are along Rt. 29. If you want to go there you could take 81 or some of 29 for your trip. Or 81 and get off at Rt. 64 and drive into Charlottesville. That's a straight shot in.

Afton area on 64 does get fog which can be very thick. But 64 has some great bright reflectors on the road to guide you, don't use brights as one might be inclined to, and I like to try to drive it during daytime. Seems like there's more fog as day turns to evening and vice versa.

With such a long trip and the season there wouldn't be a need to drive directly from 81 to Lynchburg (beautiful winding, slow, narrow roads through mountains) but if you want to see Lynchburg you can take that straight road in toward Charlottesville to 29 and head south to Lynchburg on 29.

The worst weather in the Charlottesville/Lynchburg area is February. And the worst precip is ice.

Now the thing is you're also dealing with differences in height which greatly effects weather. Weather will be different the higher up you go. So it could be different along 81 than on 29 in general.

Asheville I think is higher and, of the two states, weather there may be worse so you might start your directions from there and work backwards. It'll be interesting to see how you'll be led in. Then you can see which roads to use through Va.

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
2. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

PS Go ahead and post in Asheville.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 21
3. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

Wow, thank you so much for the help, much appreciated.

The altitude differences are mostly what I'm concerned with as we deal with that hear quite a bit.

The city can be ok with just a dusting of snow but the mountain pass can be closed and snowed in.

So I know it can change rapidly.

What would be your pick for staying overnight; between Charlottesville and Lynchburg??

central virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
4. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

Are you using google to time your drive? Are you thinking you'll have time in your overnight city for touring? If you're taking 29 down, it would probably be more a matter of what you wanted to do in these cities. As far as just an overnight sleepover they both have lots of accommodations. They are about an hour apart driving on 29.

A note, Lynchburg has a bypass now, and Danville has had for a while which makes travel along there a bit quicker.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 44
5. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

I'd opt for Lynchburg for easy on-off. Charlottesville can be very congested and require quite a bit of in-city driving.

6. Re: Route down through going South in Decemeber, where to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, December 15, 2013