We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Which Vermont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 5
Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Hi we are a family of five that will be visiting from the UK in August. We are going to spend a few days in Boston, a week near Cape cod and then a week in Vermont. I would really appreciate some advice on where to base ourselves in Vermont.

My youngest child is 8 and oldest 13, we like exploring towns and going on small hikes. I have been looking at Woodstock and Stowe but not sure what there is to do in the summer. We will be looking to rent a vacation home for the duration.

Any advice on where to stay and ideas of things to do would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
1. Re: Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Families with kids your ages stay all over the State. I suggest a better way to decide is to research the sites like visitvt.com or get a good guide book. Every one has their favorites. Most of the posters tend to be northern vt centric but my family spent years in southern vt. Also ta has many pages of things to do. I just think for such generic questions, you need to do some work first. Or I could just suggest the old reliable Stowe.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 41
2. Re: Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Agreed, there are plenty of great places to stay and things to do/see. I like Stowe, but your mileage may vary, depending on what you'd like to do. Check out some past posts for 'best things to do' and the like, then let us know any more specific questions.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
reviews: 62
3. Re: Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Agree with the previous comments. I would suggest you look at vrbo.com and/or cyberrentals to find houses that suit you, see where they are located and then ask again, or look up things to do on TA. You can hardly go wrong...there are things to do all over the state.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
reviews: 232
4. Re: Family summer holiday to Vermont.

Afternooon Southmead 4,

There are oodles of things to do...just got to decide which area you want to stay in. Woodstock would fit the bill (but I'm 100% biased...so much so after visiting here 11 years ago I moved lock stock and barrel from London to buy an inn!) So if you decide on this area I'm happy to give you loads of advice.

Are you thinking of staying at hotels, rental properties or small inns & B & B's? Do you want to fish, swim paddle, bike, waterparks, shop, visit local craft shops, see and eat local foods being made....drink some great local beers....or just sit and watch life go by in a National park......I could go on...

From Cape Cod to Woodstock VT takes about 4 hours to drive...just try and avoid driving on/off Cape Cod at the weekend. The easiest route here is directly north via I93 and I89 and the rate of exchange is currently going the right way for you!

If you want to avoid jet lag get the return daytime BA flight (08.30ish) from Boston Logan and you'll hit Heathrow at around 19.30 the same day. If you want to drive a little further but usually saves pounds on the flight, then get a flight to New York JFK, all this does is add about 3 hours onto your drive...and you've got the car anyway and petrol is only 2 quid a GALLON here!

Happy planning...

David

5. Re: Family summer holiday to Vermont.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 20, 2015