We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

Which Vermont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hollywood, Florida
Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

My elderly, disabled aunt, who lives in Connecticut, expressed a desire to visit Vermont to see the fall foliage. She can walk short distances with a walker. I am looking for lodging, preferably in southern VT, where we can park close to the rooms without having to climb stairs, deal with hills, etc., but still have a beautiful view. Unfortunately, we have a limited budget. I would appreciate any suggestions, including scenic drives in the area. Thanks!

Kathy

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
reviews: 40
1. Re: Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

Hi Cathy, there are many beautiful places to visit the scenery in southern VT in the fall.....that will be easy. The B&B's or Inns that have accessibility as you describe may be difficult to find. My suggestion is to go to google and type in "Chester vt B&B handicap accessible" and you will find two B&B's in that community that have first floor access and may be able to provide the services needed. With that said....I may suggest that you do the same entry for each of the villages in the surrounding area, such as Weston, Grafton, Ludlow, Landgrove, ...each offering potential access as you describe. Certainly each of these communities are in the heart of the Okemo Valley of Southern VT and will offer wonderful experiences. Another option is to locate the Okemo Valley Chamber of commerce at 802-228-5830 http://www.yourplaceinvermont.com/ and ask them directly for what you are looking for.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 52
2. Re: Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

You might check the Inn at Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield. I stayed there last year and the parking lot was close to the front door, and it had some main-level bedrooms. The grounds are beautiful and so is the surrounding scenery. I've also stayed at the Inn at Manchester which has ground-floor rooms and a parking lot right at the entrance to both the main building and the carriage house. It advertises a fully handicapped-accessible room in the Carriage House I remember that the Grafton Inn in Grafton has an elevator, but I don't remember what the parking situation was Some older buildings might have narrow hallways so ask about that if she'll be in a wheelchair.. Good luck!

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 6
3. Re: Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

The Inn at Round Barn Farm is beautiful, but pricey and not Southern Vermont.

You may want to check with some of the ski resorts in southern Vermont-- Stratton, Mount Snow and Okemo. They all have fairly modern condos that should have been built to ADA standards, unlike some of the old Inns and B&B's. They are obviously "in" the mountains so foliage can be viewed all around. In fact, it looks like Stratton runs its gondola during foliage season. You might be able to get your Aunt in a car right to the loading dock for the gondola, and then you ride in an enclosed gondola to the top, then just stay on and ride back down. You won't get better leaf peeping than that.

stratton.com/events-and-activities/stratton-…

Hollywood, Florida
4. Re: Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I am looking into the options. Great idea about the gondola ride, AdamTraveler!

5. Re: Disabled/Accessible lodging for fall foliage viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 17, 2014