We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report - lake bomoseen area

Which Vermont hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 57
trip report - lake bomoseen area

We rented a camp on Lake Bomoseen the last week of August. I used this site for much of the planning, so I figured I'd give some feedback.

We checked out Independence Farm in Orwell. It was a bit small, maybe 15 animals in one barn. All the animals were wandering around and a few were a bit aggressive. It was an ok visit, but we didn't even spend an hour here as my husband thought it was dirty and mom didn't like the owner.

www.vtpettingfarm.com

We went to Crystal Beach almost every day. It was clean with a great new playground for the kids. The little carts they provide were helpful in getting your things to the beach. The dock was fun to jump off and bathrooms clean and plentiful. There is a covered picnic pavilion as well as many picnic tables under the trees with charcoal grills. The snack shack was closed the whole week we were there so don't count on that for food. We arrived at about 9:45 each morning so didn't have to pay to get in. This was one of our favorite parts of vacation.

My husband took my 4-year-old daughter to Six Flags Great Escape and they really loved it there. She is 42 inches tall and could ride most everything. The lines were not too long mid week. He bought the tickets online through AAA's website and saved a good chunk of money. They also tailgated a picnic lunch to save some money.

They went to Bromley Mountain for their summer activities. The alpine slide was a blast. The other things (zip line, bounce house, mini golf, trampoline, bumper cars, etc) were fun and filled the day. Since we got the AAA discount on Six Flags, Bromley was actually more expensive and not nearly as exciting in our view.

http://www.bromley.com

My husband and a friend went to Pine Hill Park in Rutland to mountain bike two days. They found it challenging and long enough to go for 2 hours without being bored. There is a small bike shop for inexpensive rentals and basic repairs. There is no trail fee to ride.

www.pinehillpark.org

We checked out the Vermont State Fair in Rutland in the day Saturday. It wasn't too crowded and food was moderately priced. The farm animals were clean and beautiful, but there were preforming animals and petting zoo animals that screamed animal cruelty to me. There were some great historical farming pieces, as well as side shows, carnival rides and food. Overall it was fun, but hot without shade and lots of walking. I was only there 4 hours but exhausted by the end.

I posted a review on the Roxy and Hildale sections of the site, both were huge hits.

Lake Bomoseen was clear but very seaweedy. There were a ton of boats on the weekends but quiet during the week. Very good fishing. There is NOTHING to do here, so don't come if you want party life. But if you want a quiet escape, we loved it.

I hope that helps some of you!

Edited: 9:46 am, September 04, 2012
Boston...
1. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

I forgot our day in Brandon!

We checked out Blue Ledge Goat Farm. It was a free, self guided tour on Friday mornings. The cheese was inexpensive and goats pretty and well kept. It's way out there, so if you think you are lost, keep going. You will find it.

www.blueledgefarm.com

We also checked out Maple View Alpaca Farm and got a wonderful visit with some of the most beautiful animals I have ever seen. They let my family in the paddocks getting up close and personal with these beautiful creatures. These farmers are passionate about alpacas. They have beautiful grounds and modern facilities. They have yarn, rugs, knit items and toys for purchase. The tour was free.

http://www.mapleviewfarmalpacas.com/

We went to down town Brandon next and shopped at thier quaint down town area. They had their farmer's market that morning, which had more crafts than farm products, but was fun. We ate lunch at the Vermont Sandwich Company (11 Conant Sq), which was amazing and reasonably priced. It was important to us to support a local town so devistated by Huricane Irene a year ago.

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
2. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

Superb trip report! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

The "seaweed" at Lake Bomoseen is a non-native invasive species called Asian milfoil, and it has been a problem for 30 years at least. I remember seeing tv news reports in the late 80s about trying to find a solution to retard the growth of the weeds, I'm sorry to hear that nothing has worked.

Boston...
3. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

The sea weed was pretty gross. We couldn't swim at our rental house at all, it was so thick. But Crystal Beach must be somehow kept clean because the water was great there. They had some kind of a troller like boat that went out and dug up some of the weeds, but it wasn't helping where we were (eastern shore). It wasn't the end of the world to go to the public beach, but was just too bad to not be able to swim at a lake house.

Burlington, Vermont
reviews: 18
4. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

For a long time, (and maybe still), the town used a boat that had a chopping device that cut the stuff, but the nature of milfoil is that even little pieces leftover from cutting or chopping can sprout and grow quickly....so the boat chopper actually makes things worse in the long run.

Milfoil requires sunlight to grow. In very shady areas, it's less likely to grow, and some tests have been done on ways to block light from reaching the plants to keep them from growing.

Boston...
5. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

Interesting. The shore at our rental was shady, so the milfoil started at about 3 feet from the shore. Now that makes sense.

The pond was still great for water sports - canoeing, kayaking, jet skiing, party boats - as well as fishing. It was crystal clear water, not murky at all. No funny smells, no slime. We had been warned about it before we booked. I just didn't realize how bad it would be.

6. Re: trip report - lake bomoseen area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 06, 2013